ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College men's basketball team used an 18-2 run in the second half to pull away from Hope, 74-63, and earn its fourth win in Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) play. Justin Webster led the Bulldog starting five--all of which scored double-digit points in the game--with 16 points and 14 rebounds to record his ninth double-double of the season.
Final Score: Adrian 74, Hope 63
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Merillat Sport and Fitness Center)
Records: Adrian (13-2, 4-0 MIAA), Hope (8-7, 2-2 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian took an early 3-0 lead off a three-point jumper by Sam Colbert in the opening minute of the half, but Hope rallied and went on a 7-0 run to take the lead with 16:33 left in the first half. The Bulldogs would regain the lead, 9-8, on a Justin Webster layup that sparked a 5-0 run and increased the Adrian lead to four points.
The Bulldogs built the first double-digit lead of the game with 5:13 left in the first half when Jordan Harris hit a layup to give Adrian a 28-18 lead. The Flying Dutchmen would rally back and cut the lead to just three points, 32-29, as the teams entered the locker room for halftime.
With 18:16 remaining in regulation, Tre'Shon Heard made both free throws and started the 18-2 run that would prove to be too much for Hope to overcome. Adrian built its largest lead of the game a few plays later when Sam Colbert hit from behind the arc to give the Bulldogs a 21-point advantage, 57-36, with just 12:33 left to play. The Flying Dutchmen cut the lead to 10 but was unable to trim more away before the end of the game.
• Webster went 12-18 from the free throw line and added four assists to his team-leading stat line.
• Jordan Harris tallied 15 points, five rebounds, and an assist.
• Sam Colbert was 5-8 from the floor and 4-6 from three to total 14 points for the Bulldogs. He also had three blocks.
• Jeremy Kalonji shot 4-7 to score 12 points while adding an assist, a rebound, and a block.
• Tre'Shon Heard used 4-8 shooting and 2-5 from the charity stripe to score 10 points. He also hauled in seven rebounds, five of which came at the offensive end.
• Dante Hawkins (22 points) and Jason Beckman (19) led Hope in scoring.
• Teddy Ray hauled in 11 boards.
• Riley Lewis led the Flying Dutchmen with four assists.
Adrian will stay home to host Olivet in an MIAA contest on Wednesday, January 17. Opening tip is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., ET.