ADRIAN, Mich.--The Adrian College men's tennis went on the road on Saturday and split matches in Albion and Spring Arbor. The Bulldogs (8-5 overall) got the day started off on the right foot by blanking Albion College, 9-0, in their Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association opener. Adrian then fell to Spring Arbor University in a 5-4 heartbreaker to the NAIA-scholarship Cougars.
Adrian did not lose a set versus the MIAA Britons (3-9), setting the tone with 8-2, 8-6 and 8-4 victories in doubles. Senior Joey Loselle and junior Brandon Brom led the way with two points apiece at No. 1 and 2 singles, respectively, while teaming up at first doubles.
At Spring Arbor (8-13), Nick Romano overcame an opening set loss to edge Loselle in three to clinch the Cougars' team win.
1. Nick Romano (SAU) def. Joey Loselle (AC) 6-7, 7-5, 10-2
2. Alex Reinbold (SAU) def. Brandon Brom (AC) 6-4, 6-2
3. Jonah Engle (SAU) def. Tanner Wilcox (AC) 6-2, 6-4
4. Jeff Sophiea (AC) def. Vincent McShane (SAU) 4-6, 6-0, 10-6
5. Nate Waterbury (AC) def. Sam Head (SAU) 6-0, 7-6
6. Jacob Byrd (SAU) def. Kyle Haines (AC) 6-4, 1-6, 10-8
1. Loselle / Brom (AC) def. Romano / Patrick Doerr (SAU) 9-8
2. Reinbold / McShane (SAU) def. Wilcox / Haines (AC) 8-5
3. Sophiea / Waterbury (AC) def. Josh Scott / Thomas Hall (SAU) 8-3
Adrian will host University of Saint Francis (Ind.)--which is a fellow Crossroads League member of Spring Arbor--on Sunday at 1 p.m. at the Craft Tennis Complex.