ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College men's volleyball team fell at home three sets to cross-town rival Siena Heights and UC Merced on Thursday afternoon. Noah Marcinkowski led the Bulldogs with 12 kills in the losing effort in game one. Kevin Curley led the Bulldogs in game two with seven kills.
Final Scores: Game One: Siena Heights 3, Adrian 0 (25-22, 25-15, 25-20); Game Two: UC Merced 3, Adrian 0 (25-14, 25-16, 25-19)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Merillat Sports and Fitness Center)
Records: Siena Heights (13-9), Adrian (3-17), UC Merced (7-8)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The score remained close in the opening set, with neither team being able to pull ahead further than three points for most of the set.
• The Saints built their largest lead toward the end, 21-15, before the Bulldogs rallied back to cut the lead to two, 24-22. Siena Heights would take the set, 25-22, for a 1-0 lead.
• The Saints took the second set by a wider margin, 25-15, for a 2-0 advantage after two sets of play.
• Set three begin with Siena Heights scoring the first five points on the way to an 11-3 lead.
• Adrian would eventually cut the lead to just four points, 22-18, but the Saints would win the set 25-20 to take the match 3-0.
• UC Merced took a quick 1-0 lead after winning the first set 25-14. The Bobcats had a match-best .571 hitting percentage in the set. Adrian also had a match-best .227 hitting percentage.
• UC Merced was able to win the second set, 25-16 to gain a 2-0 lead over Adrian.
• The Bulldogs kept the third set closer, losing by only six points, 25-19 after holding the Bobcats their lowest hitting percentage of the match (.176).
• Marcinkowski added six digs to his match-high 12 kills.
• Avery Johnson contributed 11 kills, one assist, and a team-high nine digs for the Bulldogs.
• Joseph Campana paced the Adrian offense with 26 assists. He also added one service ace and three digs.
• Curley tied a match-high seven kills to lead the Bulldogs in game two of the day. He also added one assist, one service ace, and two digs to his stat line.
• Marcinkowski tallied six kills and six digs in the match.
• Campana (13) and Javes Escalera (6) set the tone offensively for Adrian, leading the team in assists.
• Alex Collins led defensively tying a match-high 12 digs.
• Michael Burkhardt and Johnson each recorded three block assists.
• Tyler Hubbard-Neil led the Saints with seven kills.
• Keegan Crawford had a match-high 30 assists.
• Emilier DeJesus and Ryan Hafner each tallied eight digs.
• Jacob Shelton led the Bobcats with seven kills.
• Matt Pelfini had a match-high 26 assists and 12 digs.
• Samuel Hala'ufia, Cole Smith, and Shelton each had three block assists.
• Adrian will look to earn its first win in 10 matches when MSOE visits the Merillat this Saturday, April 1 at 11:00 a.m.