ADRIAN, Mich. - Adrian was trailing 19-11 in the fourth set before scoring nine straight points to take the lead and the set in a 3-2 win against Olivet in the final home match of the season. Kevin Curley tied a season-high 17 kills in the match to lead the Bulldogs to the win.
Final Score: Adrian 3, Olivet 2 (25-23, 17-25, 13-25, 25-23, 15-7)
Location: Adrian, Mich. (Merillat Sports and Fitness Center)
Records: Adrian (4-19, 3-14 MCVL), Olivet (3-20, 0-18 MCVL)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Adrian won the first set, 25-23, to jump out to a 1-0 lead despite the Comets hitting .421 to the Bulldogs' .273 in the opening set.
• Olivet knotted things up by taking the second set, 25-17.
• The Comets would win the third set, 25-13, putting Adrian on its heels.
• The Bulldogs trailed 10-1 early in the fourth set but couldn't cut the Olivet lead by much throughout.
• Trailing 19-11, Adrian would score nine straight points to rally back and take the first lead of the fourth, 20-19.
• The Comets would tie the set at 21, but the Bulldogs would hold on for a 25-23 win to force a decisive fifth set.
• Adrian was able to build, keep, and eventually sustain a win in the fifth, 15-7, to take the match three sets to two.
• Curley added six digs, one block assist, and one assist to his 17 kills.
• Noah Marcinkowski tallied 16 kills, two assists, seven digs and one service ace in the victory.
• Avery Johnson had nine kills, two assists, one ace, and five digs for the Bulldogs.
• Joseph Campana led the Adrian offensively with 35 assists as well as contributing eight digs.
• Daniel Contreras led the defense, tying a match-high nine digs.
• Trent Robinson (20) and Brock Pringle (17) led the Comets in kills.
• Mathew Caamal (27) and Aaron Giorgi (24) paced the Olivet offense with assists.
• B. Pringle had a team-high nine digs; Rhett Pringle and Luke DeWitt tallied seven.
• Adrian will wrap up the 2017 season with road matches at Lakeland (Fri., April 7) and at Marian (Wis.) (Sat., April 8). The Lakeland match is set to begin at 8:00 p.m. EDT; the Marian match will start at 11:00 a.m.