ADRIAN, MICH. -- The Adrian College men's volleyball team wrapped up the 2018 season with a 3-0 win over Olivet on Friday night at the Merillat Sport and Fitness Center. Noah Marcinkowski (Menifee, Calif.) led the team with a match-high 12 kills.
Final Score: Adrian 3, Olivet 0 (25-18, 25-12, 25-20)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Merillat Sport and Fitness Center)
Records: Adrian (8-14, 3-6 MCVL), Olivet (6-16, 0-9 MCVL)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian used a .393 attack percentage in the first set to jump out to a quick 1-0 lead. The Bulldogs held a six-point lead twice (13-7 & 24-18) which was the largest lead until the final point.
The Bulldogs used a 3-0 run in the second set to build an 18-9 advantage before finishing the Comets by scoring six of the final eight points in the set for the 13-point decision and a 2-0 lead. Adrian finished the set with a match-high .407 attack percentage.
Set three was dominated by Marcinkowski who scored six of his 12 kills in the final set of the match. Adrian used a .406 attack percentage to close out the match and send the 2018 senior class off the court for the final time with a victory.
• Marcinkowski added four digs to his stat-line. He finishes the season with a league-leading 281 kills and a 3.51 kills/set total (2nd MCVL).
• Mike Gold (Canton, Mich.) finished with 10 kills, one dig, and one block assist. His 108 season total in kills ranks fourth on the team.
• Senior Avery Johnson (Bolingbrook, Ill.) tallied nine kills and three blocks (1 solo, 2 assist) in the match. His kill total came to 84 (5th on team) and he finished with a team-leading 60 blocks (11 solo, 49 assist). That total is the most blocks in a by an AC men's volleyball player since the program moved to NCAA in 2016.
• Joseph Campana (Los Angeles, Calif.) paced the Bulldog attack with 35 assists. He also had a service ace, four digs, and four blocks (1 solo, three assist). Campana is currently third in the MCVL with 717 assists on the season. He currently tops the Adrian College record books with 1418 career assists.
• Senior Kyle Bell (Lake Orion, Mich.) had a team-high 12 digs in the match. In his first season on the team, Bell finishes with a team-leading 209 digs this season (4th MCVL).
• Senior Javes Escalera (Manson, Wash.) tallied nine assists and three digs. His Adrian College career comes to an end with 256 career digs (2nd AC career record book).
• Trent Robinson and Rhett Pringle led the Comets with eight kills.
• Aaron Giorgi assisted on 27 kills to set the tone.
• Tanner Gardenour finished with seven digs.
SEASON WRAP UP
First-year head coach Zak Krug has led Adrian to its most successful season since moving from the club ranks to varsity, NCAA in 2016 with an overall record of 8-14 and a 3-6 conference mark.
Michael Burkhardt (Whitehall, Pa.) and Marcinkowski earned the program's first MCVL player of the week awards this season.