HIRAM, Ohio – The Adrian College men's volleyball team lost a five-set match to Geneva in match one of the Hiram Invitational on Friday, Jan. 19.
Final Score: Geneva 3, Adrian 2 (16-25, 30-28, 25-23, 25-27, 15-9)
Location: Hiram, Ohio (Price Gymnasium)
Records: AC 2-3, GU 1-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian looked strong in the first set, taking it by nine points, 25-16. The Bulldogs hit .333% in the opening set, their highest set percentage of the match. Five different Dawgs had kills in set one, with freshman Tedrick Gula leading the way with three opening set kills.
The next three sets would all be decided by the minimum of two points, with Geneva winning the first two of those three. The Golden Tornados took the second set 30-28 and the third set 25-23 to put them up 2-1 over AC heading into the fourth set. The penultimate set would need extra points like the second, but it would be the Black and Gold winning 27-25 to force the decisive fifth set.
It was a close beginning to the fifth set, but Geneva was able to pull away halfway through, going on a 10-3 run to put the Golden Tornados one point away from winning at 14-7. Adrian would get two more points but the comeback would fall short as Geneva got the final kill it needed to finish the match in its favor.
• Junior Noah Marcinkowski led the offense with 16 kills, while Gula provided 12.
• Junior Joseph Campana hit 40 assists for the third time this season, finishing with a season-high 46.
• Anthony Baronio led Geneva with 23 kills.
• Baronio and Matt Peters each had 27 assists.
• Baronio and Peters led the defense with 19 and 10 digs, respectively. Peter Barbato had 2.5 blocks for the Golden Tornadoes.
Adrian faces host Hiram in game two of the Hiram Invitational later today before wrapping up the Invitational tomorrow against Thomas More. First serve is scheduled for 9 a.m. tomorrow morning.
#GoBulldogs | #ACMV | #Culture19 | #BulldogBall