ADRIAN, Mich. – The Adrian College men's volleyball team took down Trine University 3-1 in a non-conference matchup in the Bulldogs' return to home court on Tuesday, Feb. 12.
Final Score: Adrian 3, Trine 1 (25-20, 25-21, 23-25, 25-21)
Location: Adrian, Mich. (Merillat Sport and Fitness Center)
Records: AC 6-5, TU 3-11
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian opened an early lead in the first set and never lost it. Trine went on a 7-2 run late in the set in an attempt to comeback but the Bulldogs were up to the challenge and won four points in a row to close out the set 25-20. Both teams hit their best in the first set, with Adrian hitting .387 and Trine .290.
It was Trine taking an early lead in the second set, going up 7-2 to start the set off. AC fought back but the Thunder continued to lead until the Bulldogs went on a 10-3 run to storm back and take the second set. The run was spurred on by back-to-back service aces by junior setter Joseph Campana, part of his three aces in the match.
Trine dominated the beginning of the third set and let 7-3 before extending it to a six-point lead at 17-11. The Black and Gold fought back once again, but couldn't take the match in straight sets, as the Thunder held on for the 25-23 victory in the set to force a fourth set.
In the opposite of what happened the last two sets, Adrian opened a commanding 7-0 lead to start the fourth set. Trine eventually tied the match up late at 18-18 and the two teams traded points until the Bulldogs won five straight points, capped off by a strike up the middle from senior Michael Burkhardt, to close out the match with a 25-21 fourth set win.
• The duo of Burkhardt and junior Noah Marcinkowski combined for 31 kills in the match, with Burkhardt picking up 16 and Marcinkowski 15. Freshman Tedrick Gula joined the duo in the double digits, finishing with 11 kills.
• Campana totaled 39 assists in the match and finished with three service aces, second-most in a four set match in program history. He also contributed nine digs.
• Junior Kevin Curley led the defensive charge, finishing with 13 kills while Gula added 11. Burkhardt was strong at the net-front, picking up four block assists.
• Eric Santiago-Garcia and Kyle Dixon had a game-high 19 and 18 kills, respectively.
• Hunter Monday tallied 47 assists.
• Raviel Winters finished with 14 digs while Blake Grosse had 13. Trine blocked a total of 11 points in the match.
Adrian continues and concludes its three-match homestand on Friday, Feb. 15 with a doubleheader. The Bulldogs host MCVL foe Greenville in a non-conference match at 6 p.m. and then face Maranatha Baptist at 8 p.m.
#GoBulldogs | #ACMV | #Culture19 | #BulldogBall