GENEVA, Ill. - The Adrian College women's hockey team scored 10 goals and outshot the Spartans 69-13 to pummel Aurora 10-0 on Saturday to close out the weekend series 2-0. Freshman Kate Turner (W, 8-2-1) saved all 13 shots she faced to tally her fifth shutout of the season.
Final Score: Adrian 10, Aurora 0
Location: Geneva, Illinois
Records: Adrian (9-2-1, 6-1-1 NCHA), Aurora (1-9-0, 1-7-0 NCHA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Brooke Schembri scored at the 10:10 mark of the first period to give the Bulldogs a 1-0 lead. Kelly O'Sullivan added the insurance goal at 15:17 as the Bulldogs took a 2-0 lead into the locker room for the first intermission.
The Bulldogs dominated play throughout the game holding advantages in shooting for the three periods by tallies of 23-4, 21-3, and 25-6 to earn a 69-13 decision in shots. Adrian was 1-for-4 (0.250) on the power play while the Spartans were 0-for-4 with the man advantage.
• Shelly Czarnowczan also registered three points in the game with a goal and two assists.
• Maggie Mitter scored once off of her game-high 12 shots on goal.
• Kortney Diaz (8-14) and White (7-9) were the team's main threats in the faceoff circle on the afternoon.
• Olivia Matson led Aurora with four shots on goal.
• Goalie Becca Binder made 59 saves in her 60 minutes of play between the pipes for the Spartans.
Adrian women's hockey will return to action after a break for the holidays on Sunday, January 7, 2018, when the team travels to compete in the Norwich University East/West Classic against the No. 2 ranked Elmira Golden Eagles. The opening puck drop in that contest is scheduled for 5:00 p.m., ET.