NORTHFIELD, Vt. - The Adrian College women's hockey team gave up two goals in the third period to drop a 3-2 decision to host Norwich in the East-West Hockey Classic consolation game. Maggie Mitter scored a goal and an assist to lead the Bulldogs in the losing effort.
Final Score: Norwich 3, Adrian 2
Location: Northfield, Vermont (Kreitzberg Arena)
Records: Norwich (12-1-1), Adrian (9-4-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Maggie Mitter but the Bulldogs on the board first with a goal just 3:29 into the first period. Brooke Schembri assisted on the play. Adrian had an 8-6 edge in shots for the first period as the Bulldogs took a 1-0 lead into the locker room during the first intermission.
Brynn Whopperer scored the game-tying goal at 14:42 of the second period off assists from Adrieana Rossini and Alyssa Hulst. The Cadets finished the period with a 9-5 shooting edge as the teams took a 1-1 tie into the final intermission.
Rose Krasofsky scored 3:11 into the final 20 minutes to give Adrian back the lead at 2-1. Hannah Dalrymple and Mitter were given assists on the play. Norwich responded two minutes later as Kelley Madden scored at the 5:54 mark of the third to tie the score at two goals apiece. Sarah Schwenzfeier scored the game-winner with 8:24 left in regulation.
The Cadets outshot the Bulldogs by a slim 20-17 margin. Adrian finished the game 1-for-3 (0.333) on the power play; Norwich didn't score on any of its three power-play opportunities.
• Mitter tallied a team-high four shots, scoring once, to lead the Bulldog offense. She was the only Adrian player to score more than one point in the game.
• Dalrymple (5 assists this season), Mitter (9), and Schembri (5) each tallied an assist for Adrian.
• Krasofsky scored a goal on five shots. She was the only Adrian scorer to tally a goal in both games of the East-West Classic. The Plymouth, Michigan native also led the Bulldogs in the faceoff dot, winning 11 of her 21 faceoffs.
• Kate Turner (L, 8-4-1) tallied 17 saves in 59:15 of playing time.
• Whopperer, Madden, and Schwenzfeier were the goal scorers for the Cadets.
• Kim Tiberi, KC Herne, Nicole Goebel, and Hulst each had an assist.
• Laurie King made 15 saves between the pipes for Norwich in the win.
Adrian will travel to face Wisconsin-Eau Claire next Monday, January 15 at 3:30 p.m., ET