BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The Adrian College women's lacrosse team scored a season-high 10 goals at Birmingham Southern, but the Panthers earned the 19-10 victory. Emily Smith scored six goals for Adrian in the losing effort.
Final Score: Birmingham Southern 19, Adrian 10
Location: Birmingham, Alabama (Krulak Stadium)
Records: Birmingham Southern (2-4), Adrian (0-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
First Half: Birmingham Southern 10, Adrian 5
• Smith (Annie Rice) scored first to give the Bulldogs the 1-0 lead less than five minutes into the opening half.
• The Panthers responded less than a minute later to tie the game, before striking three more times for a 4-1 lead.
• Smith and Ava Cares each scored for Adrian to cut the Birmingham Southern lead to one goal, 4-3.
• The Panters rattled off five straight to increase their lead to six, 9-3, with just 5:14 remaining in the half.
• Smith scored two more goals before half-time to cut the lead to four, 9-5, but the Panthers would score one more goal before the teams went into the locker room.
Second Half: Birmingham Southern 19, Adrian 10
• Mariesa Johnson, Annika Nuler, and Ava Cares each added a goal for the Bulldogs in the second half. Smith would also add two more goals to the cause, but Adrian couldn't keep up with the Panters who scored nine goals in the second half.
• Smith had one draw control to add to her game-high six goals.
• Cares scored twice, had two draw controls, one ground ball and team-high seven shots on goal.
• Johnson tallied one goal and an assist along with one caused turnover.
• Nuler had a goal, two ground balls, and four draw controls.
• Annie Rice led the Bulldogs with two assists.
• Jade Cox scored six goals, had four ground balls and three caused turnovers.
• Natalie Daniel scored five times and had a game-high eight draw controls.
• Ashley Shepherd and Cox led the team with three caused turnovers.
• The Bulldogs continue their long road trip with a game against Piedmont on Friday, March 3 at 5:00 p.m. That is the third of a six-game road trip.