ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College women's soccer team lost 2-1 in overtime to Ohio Northern on Saturday afternoon at Docking Stadium. The Bulldogs Raquel Church (freshman, Canton, Mich.) scored her first career goal in the 32nd minute to give Adrian a 1-0 lead.
Final Score: Ohio Northern 2, Adrian 1 - Final/OT
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Docking Stadium)
Records: Ohio Northern (1-1), Adrian (1-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The game started with both teams creating early chances, but weren't able to break the 0-0 deadlock in the opening minutes of the game. Adrian broke the tie at the 31:24 mark of the first when Caroline Fleming (sophomore, Grosse Ille, Mich.) served up a beautiful cross that was headed in by Church. The score would remain a 1-0 Bulldog advantage as the teams entered the locker room at the half.
Early in the second half Adrian senior Mackenzie Wilcox was issued a red card, causing the Bulldogs to play with a man down for the final 40-plus minutes of regulation. Despite being short-handed, Adrian held the Polar Bear attack at bay until Anna Niemeyer tied the game in the 75th minute.
The score remained tied at one goal apiece as time expired to bring the game into overtime. Niemeyer scored the game-winning goal for Ohio Northern in the 94th minute to end the game, 2-1.
• Church scored the lone goal for the Bulldogs, her first goal in a Bulldog uniform.
• Fleming dished her first assist for the season and third of her collegiate career.
• Adrian keeper Kristen Page (L, 0-1) made four saves in 93:21 of play.
• Niemeyer scored both goals for Ohio Northern.
• Four other Polar Bear players tallied a shot on goal.
• ONU keeper Meagan Grierson (W, 1-1) saved two of the three shots she faced.
Adrian opens Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) play on the road at Alma on Wednesday, September 6. Kick off is set to begin at 4:00 p.m. ET.