ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College women's soccer team improved to 5-3-1 in Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) play with a 3-0 win over Alma on Wednesday night. Mya Oleksiak scored twice to lead the Bulldogs to the win.
Final Score: Adrian 3, Alma 0
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Docking Stadium)
Records: Adrian (8-4-1, 5-3-1 MIAA), Alma (2-7-2, 2-7-0 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian scored in the seventh minute of the game to gain an early 1-0 lead. Kirsten Chambers dished the ball to Oleksiak in the box and the freshman forward did the rest, burying the ball into the top right of the net.
Oleksiak gave the Bulldogs an insurance goal by scoring off a slide kick immediately following a cross from Mackenzie Wilcox at the 19:01 mark.
The score would remain 2-0 Bulldogs for the remainder of the half. Adrian had a 10-3 advantage in shot attempts and a 4-0 edge in corner kicks. The Bulldog back line also held the Scots to zero shots on goal for the half.
Kirsten Chambers shook the net in the second half to put Adrian up 3-0 in the 67th minute. Her goal was unassisted.
The Bulldogs back line remained dominant as they held Alma to three shot attempts in the second half (six for the entire contest) and did not allow the Scots a single shot on net for the entire game.
Adrian finished with advantages in shot attempts (15-6) and corner kicks (5-0) in the game. This is the first regular-season sweep of Alma for the Bulldogs since 2011.
• Oleksiak and Chambers led the Bulldog attack with two shots on goal each. Oleksiak finished with four points (two goals) and Chambers scored three with a goal and an assist.
• Ayverie Giller (W, 8-3-1) had a mostly uneventful night in net for the Bulldogs as she didn't have to make any saves.
• Lexi Moyer led the Scots with two shot attempts.
• Amanda Mladenovski, Madi Ferry, Whitnee Foote, and Brooke Steed each tallied a shot attempt.
• Kelsey Postema (L, 1-7-2) saved three of the five shots she faced.
• Ally Wentworth made two saves in relief.
Adrian will host Hope on Saturday, October 7. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:00 p.m., ET.