CLERMONT, Fla. - The Adrian College softball team are 1-4 after three days of competition in Florida. Three of the four losses have been by no more than two runs.
The Bulldogs went 0-2 on day one with a 5-3 loss to Brandeis and a 4-3 loss to Middle Georiga State.
Adrian would bounce back on day two, going 1-1 on the day, in two games that needed an extra inning to be decided.
The Bulldogs won the first game against Waynesburg 4-3 in eight innings after a suicide squeeze at the bottom of the eighth scored the winning run. Adrian would lose game two of day two 6-5 in eight against Augustana.
York (Pa.) was the only opponent on day three for the Bulldogs. Adrian fell 9-0 to the Spartans in five innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Game 2: Middle Georgia 4, Adrian 3
• Down 2-1 at the top of the sixth inning, the Bulldogs got the tying run on base when Destiny Rogers hit a lead-off single. She would advance to second on a passed ball during Chelsea Shellman's at bat. Shellman singled on a bunt and advanced to second on a fielding error by the Knights, Rogers would score off the error to tie the game at two.
• Jaime Lightner would give Adrian the 3-2 lead when her single scored Shellman with two outs in the half-inning.
• Middle Georgia's Julia Davis singled and Madison Bivins walked to put runners on first and second with only one out.
• Sabrina Doucette hit a single, advancing Bivins to third and scoring Davis to tie the game at three.
• Meagan Coleman grounded out, but Bivins scored to give the Knights a 4-3 lead.
Game 3: Adrian, 4, Waynesburg 3
• With a 3-1 lead going into the seventh inning, the Bulldogs needed just three outs to seal the win.
• A. Dubovich hit a double to left and advanced to third two batters later when K. Renzler singled to third.
• R. Skon hit a sacrifice fly to left field that scored Dubovich and allowed Renzler to advance to second.
• The Lady Jackets tied the game on the next at-bat when A. Lawrence doubled to left field to score Renzler.
Game 4: Augustana 6, Adrian 5
• The Bulldogs scored three runs at the top of the seventh inning to take a 5-2 lead when Paige Cubberly doubled to center field that scored three runners.
• Zayne Blumberg hit a lead-off single for the Vikings.
• After Blumberg advances to second on a passed ball, Carly Wilson lined out to second for the first out of the inning.
• Rachel Anderson would then single to score Blumberg and cut the Adrian lead to 5-3.
• After an Augustana double that put runners on second and third, Haley Ruch reached first on an error which scored the other two runners to tie the game at five.
• The Vikings got the winning run after holding Adrian scoreless at the top of the eighth.
Game 5: York (Pa.) 9, Adrian 0 - 5-Innings
• The Spartans used a three-run second inning and a four-run third inning to propel them to the 9-0 win in five innings.