CLERMONT, Fla. – The Adrian College softball team defeated Roger Williams University 4-2 on Friday, March 8. The Bulldogs trailed late in the game but mounted a comeback with a four-run fifth inning.
Final Scoreline: Adrian 4-6-0 | Roger Williams 2-5-1
Location: Clermont, Fla. (Hancock Recreational Complex, Field Two)
Records: AC 5-4, RWU 0-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian had a chance to score in the top of the second, loading the bases with two outs. The Bulldogs couldn't capitalize on the early chance, as a ground out ended the top half of the inning. It would then be Roger Williams opening the scoring in the second, when Micaela Pohl stole home on a double steal for the game's first run. The Hawks doubled their lead in the fourth inning, when a runner scored before a double play to end the inning was completed.
Adrian flexed its offensive muscles in the fifth inning, scoring all four runs in the game from the fifth. Sophomore left fielder Alaina Macksoud scored after a throwing error by the second baseman and freshman Kayla Bozyk came home on a single from sophomore right fielder Jamie Bell to tie the game.
The Bulldogs took the lead for good when senior pitcher Paige Cubberly singled up the middle to score Bell and sophomore pinch runner Jalyn DeForest to make it 4-2. After each team only sending three batters each to the plate in the sixth, Cubberly came back into the game to try and get the save. She picked up two outs on the first two batters and then put two runners on base, with the winning run at the plate. The senior stayed cool and got the batter to swing and miss to win the game for AC.
• Cubberly led the team with two RBIs.
• Cubberly started the game, pitching the first two innings and giving up three hits and one run in those two innings. She came back to close the game and picked up the save with one hit in the seventh and both of her strikeouts.
• Freshman Lauren McCulligh replaced Cubberly in the third and went two innings and giving up one run on one hit and striking out two while getting the win. Junior Ashley Lenington pitched after McCulligh and threw two perfect innings with a pair of strikeouts.
• Alexis Romano led the way with two hits for the Hawks.
• Hailey Prechtel went four+ innings and gave up one run on three hits but Rachel Wandzilak got the loss for giving up three runs on two hits and a walk for her one out of work in the fifth inning, where she faced six batters.
Adrian plays its final game of spring break later today against Emmanuel College (Mass.) First pitch is scheduled for 1:30 p.m.
#GoBulldogs | #ACSB | #BeGreat | #LilDubs