ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College women's volleyball team defeated Albion in three straight sets to improve its conference record to 2-2 on the season. Freshman setter Liz Susitko (West Bloomington, Mich.) led the Bulldogs in kills (8) and assists (24) in the victory.
Final Score: Adrian 3, Albion 0 (25-17, 27-25, 25-20)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Merillat Sport and Fitness Center)
Records: Adrian (2-6, 2-2 MIAA), Albion (3-5, 1-2 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian started quickly in the match, taking a 1-0 lead over Albion by winning the opening set 25-17. The Bulldogs hit a match-high .419 in the first set and never trailed throughout.
The Britons were able to build a six-point lead in the second (19-13) before Adrian was able to rally and eventually tie the set at 22. The teams would trade points three times to tie the set at 25 all. Following a service error by Albion, Susitko tallied the final kill to give Adrian the 27-25 decision and a 2-0 lead.
The third set was all Bulldogs at the start as the lead was up to 11 (18-7). With the score 23-14 in favor of Adrian, Albion rallied back by scoring four straight points to cut the lead to just five. Following an Adrian point, the Britons would score twice more to bring the score to 24-20. Megan Prsa (freshman, Windsor, Ontario) finished the match for the Bulldogs with a kill to end set three 25-20.
• Susitko added eight digs, and a service ace to her impressive stat line in the match.
• Carly Thomas (sophomore, Fishers, Ind.) and Prsa each contributed seven kills. Thomas also had a service ace, three digs, and a block assist. Prsa registered three assists, three service aces, 10 digs, and a solo block.
• Senior Haley Mellon (Adrian, Mich.) led the Adrian defense with 20 digs. She also totaled three assists and one service ace.
• Junior Jordan Pizzo (Tipton, Mich.) had a team-high two block assists while also contributing with three kills and two digs.
• Marie Pregenzer led the Briton offense with 13 kills. She also had a dig, and one block assist.
• Grace VanDorn had a match-high 30 digs. She also led Albion in digs with 15.
• Angela Adams (13), Monica Shuk (12), and Richelle Hawkins (10) all registered double-digit digs.
• Kelsey Gustafson tallied nine kills.
Adrian travels to Delaware, Ohio to participate in the Bishop Invitational hosted by Ohio Wesleyan on Friday and Saturday, September 15 and 16. The Bulldogs will play Thomas More at 5:00 p.m., ET, followed by Transylvania at 7:00 p.m., ET, on Friday.