ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College women's volleyball team was defeated in three straight sets by Trine in Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) competition. Senior Jenai White tied a season-high 12 kills in the losing effort.
Final Score: Trine 3, Adrian 0
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Merillat Sport and Fitness Center)
Record: Trine (6-5, 2-2 MIAA), Adrian (2-11, 2-3 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead in the opening set before Trine scored five straight to take the lead. The Thunder would never trail again for the remainder of the first to take a 1-0 lead in the set score.
The Bulldogs started with a 3-0 lead in the second set as well. Trine would rally back and tie the game at four before taking a small two-point lead, 6-4. The teams shared scores all the way up to a tie at 11 before the Thunder scored seven of the next nine points to take an 18-13 lead. Adrian would fight back to tie the score five more times, the final time at 24. Trine would score the final two points to take a commanding, 2-0 lead into the third set.
The score was 6-2 in favor of the Bulldogs early in the third. Trine would battle back to tie the score at seven before taking the lead 11-7. The Thunder would not trail again for the remainder of the set and would go on to take the match with a 25-18 decision in set three.
• White led the Bulldog attack with a match-high 12 kills. She finished with a .258 hitting percentage.
• Freshman Liz Susitko paced the offense with 22 assists. She also contributed defensively with seven digs.
• Haley Mellon had a match-high 18 digs for the Bulldogs. She also tallied two assists in the losing effort.
• Alex Tobler recorded six kills, one assist, and three digs.
• Emma Gaff led the Thunder with 10 kills and 13 digs.
• Raven Hood was the team leader in assists with 15.
• Shannon Scott tallied four block assists. She also contributed six kills.
Adrian will travel to face Olivet in another MIAA match on Friday, September 22. The match is scheduled to start at 6:30 p.m., ET.