ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College women's volleyball team was defeated at the hands of Kalamazoo in five sets on Friday night in the Merillat Sports and Fitness Center. Jenai White improved on her career-high 21 kills she set on Tuesday night, earning 23 kills against the Hornets in the losing effort.
Final Score: Kalamazoo 3, Adrian 2 (25-15, 17-25, 24-26, 25-14, 15-13)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (MSFC)
Records: Kalamazoo (5-12, 2-7 MIAA), Adrian (4-13, 4-5 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Kalamazoo jumped out to a quick 1-0 lead after a 25-15 win in set one. The Hornets would never trail in the opening set.
The Bulldogs would rally in the second set, building a lead of eight points (18-10) before closing out the set, 25-17, to tie the set score at one apiece.
The teams tied 10 times in the third set the final tie happened at 24. The Bulldogs were able to get the final two points to take a 2-1 advantage into the fourth set.
Kalamazoo built a seven-point lead on its way to a 25-14 win in the fourth to force a decisive, fifth set.
With the score tied 13-13 in the fifth set, Maria Katrantzi and Zoey Ammon each tallied a kill that propelled the Hornets to a 15-13 set win.
• White led the Adrian attack with 23 kills and six digs in the match.
• Liz Susitko paced the offense with 42 assists. She also tallied 12 digs and three block assists.
• Haley Mellon was the defensive-leader for Adrian with 27 digs.
• Carly Thomas contributed with nine kills, seven digs, and three blocks (1 solo, 2 assists).
• Madi Goodman led Kalamazoo with 17 kills.
• Zoey Ammon had a match-high 48 assists. She also added three kills, 12 digs, and two block assists.
• Taylor Ferguson had 40 digs to lead the Hornets defensively.
Adrian travels to Grand Rapids tomorrow to face Calvin. The match is scheduled for a 1:00 p.m., ET, start time.