ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College men's basketball defeated Capital in the team's home opener 55-52 on Wednesday night in the Merillat Sports and Fitness Center. Jordan Harris hit a three-point jumper with 1 second remaining in regulation to propel the Bulldogs to the victory.
Final Score: Adrian 55, Capital 52
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Merillat Sports and Fitness Center)
Records: Adrian (3-1), Capital (2-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian's Jeremy Kalonji hit a three-point shot to open the scoring for the Bulldogs in the opening minute of the game. The Crusaders tied the game at five and again at eight points as the teams played through a very close first half, however, Adrian remained in the lead throughout the first 20 minutes.
Austin Schreck made a layup to give Capital its first lead of the game, 28-26, with 16:36 remaining in regulation. Joey Weingartner hit a three that gave the sparked a small Crusaders run and gave the team a five-point lead, 37-32, with 13:07 left on the clock.
Capital eventually built up a 42-33 lead with just 10:15 left in the second half before the Bulldogs rallied back to a one-point deficit after a three-point jumper was scored by Kalonji to put the score at 42-41. Kalonji would hit another jumper for three to give Adrian back the lead, 44-42, with six minutes remaining.
Schreck hit a layup with just three seconds left on the clock to tie the game at 52 before Harris hit the game-winning three to end the game in favor of the Bulldogs.
Capital won the rebound battle 36-28. Free throws helped the Bulldogs as the team was 12-14 (85.7%) from the charity stripe.
• Jeremy Kalonji had a game-high 19 points on 6-10 shooting. He also hauled in three rebounds, three steals, and blocked one shot.
• Justin Webster scored 10 points on 3-8 shooting and was one rebound shy of another double-double. He also tallied one assist and was a perfect 4-4 from the free throw line.
• Sam Colbert was the only other Adrian player with double-digit points, shooting 3-9 from the floor and draining two three-point shots for 10 points. He also had five boards and three steals in the game.
• Jordan Harris scored five points--three of which came on the game-winning shot--while dishing two assists and recording one steal.
• Joey Weingartner led the Crusaders with 18 points (7-18 FG) while also having two steals.
• Austin Schreck registered 10 points, seven rebounds, two assists, and a steal.
Adrian will look to increase its winning streak to four, hitting the road to face Case Western Reserve this Saturday, December 2. Opening tip is scheduled for 3:00 p.m., ET.