ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College men's basketball team defeated crosstown rival Siena Heights to claim the Milk Jug Trophy for the second time in the last three seasons with a 64-51 win at the Merillat Sports and Fitness Center. The Bulldogs have started the season 8-2 which is the program's best start since the team began the 2012-13 season with an 11-0 record. Justin Webster scored a game-high 19 points and hauled in 12 rebounds to tally his sixth double-double this season to help the Bulldogs to a five-game winning streak--he has tallied a double-double in all five games during the current streak.
Final Score: Adrian 64, SHU 51
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Merillat Sports and Fitness Center)
Records: Adrian (8-2), Siena Heights (5-8)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Saints jumped out to a 2-0 lead to start the game, but would not hold a lead for the remainder of the game. Siena was able to tie the game six times--the final time at 21 with 4:49 remaining in the first half.
The Bulldogs largest lead in the opening 20 minutes was 34-26 with only 18 seconds left before the half. Adrian took a 34-28 lead into the locker room after the team shot 44.8% (13-29) from the floor.
The Bulldogs built an 11-point lead--the first double-digit lead of the game--with 18:24 left regulation when Jordan Harris hit a jumper from behind the arc. SHU was able to cut the lead to five, 47-42, with 11:34 left in the game before Tre'Shon Heard made a jumper to spark a 13-5 run the increased the Bulldogs lead 60-47 with two minutes remaining.
• Webster's 19-point, 12-rebound double-double was his fifth straight and sixth this season. Adrian is 6-0 so far this year when he registers a double-double. Seven of his 12 rebounds came in the second half.
• Jeremy Kalonji scored 15 of his 18 points in the first half of the game. He added 10 assists to his scoring line to tally his second double-double of the season.
• Tre'Shon Heard scored 11 points on 4-8 shooting from the floor. He also pulled down seven boards and dished two assists.
• Nick Randle (7-15 FG) and Tony Jackson II (4-9 FG) were the leading scorers for the Saints with 16 and 10 points respectively.
• Keith Jordan Jr. scored eight points for SHU off the bench.
• Josh Winowiecki led the team with nine rebounds and four blocks.
Adrian will finish its non-conference season this Saturday, December 30 when the team hosts Earlham at 3:00 p.m., ET.