ADRIAN, Mich. - Senior forward Justin Webster scored 18 points and hauled in 13 boards for his eighth double-double of the season to lead the Bulldogs (10-2, 1-0 MIAA) to a 76-67 win over Calvin in the teams Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) opener at home on Wednesday night.
Final Score: Adrian 76, Calvin 67
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Merillat Sports and Fitness Center)
Records: Adrian (10-2, 1-0 MIAA), Calvin (4-8, 0-1 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Calvin had the first run of the game, scoring seven straight points to take a 21-16 lead that forced a Bulldog timeout with 9:46 remaining in the first half.
Coming out of the timeout, Adrian went on a 6-0 run that was sparked by a quick layup by Cortiz Buckner that gave the Bulldogs back the lead, 22-21.
Adrian finished the half on a 14-5 run started by a made layup by Tre'Shon Heard to give the Bulldogs a 39-32 at the break.
Jason Walter and Carlos Amoros-Gutierrez hit back-to-back three-point jumpers to ignite a 10-0 run to give Calvin its first lead of the second half, 51-50 with 10:55 left in regulation.
The score was deadlocked three times before the Bulldogs used a 15-5 run that extended to the end of regulation and gave Adrian a 1-0 start in conference play.
• Webster extended his double-double streak to seven straight games and also had three assists and a game-high four steals. The Bulldogs are 8-0 this season when he registers a double-double.
• Kalonji scored 20 points on 8-12 shooting from the floor and added three rebounds, two assists, one steal, and three blocks.
• Heard finished with 19 points (9-13) along with leading the team with five assists and pulling down four boards.
• Jordan Harris tallied 12 points, four rebounds, and two assists to contribute to the win.
• Amoros-Gutierrez was the leading scorer for the Knights with 14 points.
• Five Calvin players, including Amoros-Gutierrez, scored double-digit points.
• Alex Bos pulled in a team-high 10 rebounds.
The Bulldogs hit the road this Saturday for an MIAA showdown with Albion. Tip-off is scheduled for 3:00 p.m., ET.