ALBION, Mich. - The Adrian College men's basketball team defeated Albion on the road 72-65 to start the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) season 2-0 for the first time since the 2014-15 season. Senior Justin Webster scored a career-high 32 points to lead the Bulldogs to the win.
Final Score: Adrian 72, Albion 65
Location: Albion, Michigan (Kresge Gymnasium)
Record: Adrian (11-2, 2-0 MIAA), Albion (3-10, 0-2 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The score remained close throughout the first half as neither team was able to pull ahead further than four points. The score was tied five times and there were nine lead changes in the first 20 minutes. The Britons took the smallest lead, 33-32, into the locker room at the half.
Justin Webster scored 11 points on 3-6 shooting from the floor and hauled in four rebounds to lead Adrian in the first half.
With Albion leading 40-39 with 15:42 remaining in regulation, Webster hit a jumper from inside the paint to spark an 11-point run to give the Bulldogs the first double-digit lead of the game, 50-40 with 11:09 left on the clock.
Adrian would build the lead to 11--the game's largest lead--twice in the game. The first time the score was 52-41 with 10:33 left in the game; the second was with 37 seconds remaining in the game when Webster hit a jumper to put the Bulldogs up 70-59.
There were only two ties and three lead changes in the second half. There were seven ties and 12 lead changes total in the game.
• Webster finished with eight rebounds and one assist to go with his game-high 32 points (23-54, 42.6% FG).
• Jeremy Kalonji scored 14 points on 5-6 shooting from the floor. He also tallied three rebounds and one assist in the winning effort.
• Jordan Harris recorded 10 points, six rebounds, and five assists.
• Tre'Shon Heard scored four points and pulled five rebounds. He also registered a game-high six assists.
• Jamezell Davis Jr. was the leading scorer for the Brits with 17 points.
• Jaylin Fordham and Quay Burks scored 15 and 13 points respectively. They both also had a team-high five rebounds.
• Corey Wheeler paced the Albion offense with five assists.
Adrian will finish the two-game road trip on Wednesday, January 10 when the team travels to Angola, Indiana to face Trine with a 7:30 p.m., ET, tip-off time.