ANGOLA, Ind. - The Adrian College men's basketball team outscored Trine 14-7 in overtime to pull out a 74-67 victory and remain undefeated in conference play. Jeremy Kalonji led the Bulldog offense by scoring 25 points.
Final Score: Adrian 74, Trine 67 F/OT
Location: Angola, Ind. (MTI Center)
Records: Adrian (12-2, 3-0 MIAA), Trine (6-8, 2-1 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian jumped out to an early 5-2 lead before the Thunder took their first lead of the game off a layup to put the score at 6-5. With the score 9-8 in favor of Trine, Jordan Harris made a layup to spark a 6-0 run that put Adrian up 14-9 with 10:33 left in the first half. Sam Colbert made a layup to increase the Bulldog lead to double digits, 23-13 with 5:42 remaining until halftime. Pete Smith hit a three-point jumper to cut the lead to seven with just over two minutes left in the half. Adrian entered the locker room with a 31-25 lead.
The score remained close through the first part of the second half, but Colbert hit back-to-back threes to put the Bulldogs ahead 46-33 with 11:20 remaining in regulation. The Thunder went on a 20-6 run to take their first lead of the second half, 53-52 with only 2:25 left to play. The teams traded buckets and free throws for the remainder of the half to remained tied at 60 when the final buzzer went off.
Trine's Langston Johnson made a three-point jumper to start the scoring in the overtime period and give the Thunder a 63-60 lead. Tre'Shon Heard made a layup that ignited an 8-0 Adrian run to give the Bulldogs a 70-64 lead and help seal the win.
• Kalonji added three steals and a rebound to his team-high 25 points.
• Colbert scored 17 points on 6-12 shooting from the floor. He was also 5-8 from behind the arc.
• Justin Webster tallied 14 points and eight rebounds to contribute on both sides of the ball.
• Langston Johnson led the Thunder with 23 points on 8-19 shooting.
• Maurice Hunter scored 13 points and hauled in eight rebounds.
• Pete Smith tallied 12 points, six assists, and five rebounds.
With the win, Adrian extends its current winning streak to nine and improves to 3-0 in the MIAA.
Adrian will host MIAA foe Hope this Saturday, January 13. Tip-off is scheduled for 3:00 p.m., ET.