ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College men's basketball team suffered its first loss in conference play after a 65-62 defeat at the hands of Olivet on Wednesday night. The loss snaps the Bulldogs 10-game winning streak. Jeremy Kalonji led the Bulldogs with 21 points and six rebounds in the losing effort.
Final Score: Olivet 65, Adrian 62
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Merillat Sports and Fitness Center)
Records: Olivet (9-7, 4-1 MIAA), Adrian (13-3, 4-1 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The teams traded leads for most of the opening 20 minutes. The Comets gained their largest lead of the half, 27-22, with 4:18 remaining in the first. Justin Webster hit a layup that sparked an 11-0 run that gave Adrian its largest lead of the half, 33-27, with 55 seconds left on the clock. Olivet would make three free throws and a layup to cut the Bulldog lead to just one before halftime.
After a layup by Tracy Edmond put the Comets up 34-33 to open the second half, Adrian would score four straight points to regain the lead. The Bulldogs would build the lead to eight points (47-39) with 14:58 left to play in regulation.
The Comets would take the lead, 54-52, after a layup by Blake Siersema with just over six minutes remaining. The teams would trade leads and tie the game twice more before the Comets took the lead in the final two minutes.
• Kalonji shot 7-14 from the floor and 6-8 from the free throw line to lead the Bulldogs in scoring.
• Justin Webster was 7-13 from the floor and 6-11 from the charity stripe to total 20 points. He also hauled in five rebounds.
• Tracy Edmond had a game-high 24 points for the Comets.
• Jalen Adams tallied a double-double with 22 points and 10 rebounds.
• John McAdoo also hauled in 10 rebounds.
Adrian will look to bounce back on Saturday, January 20, when the team travels to face Alma in Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) action. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., EST.