OLIVET, MICH. – The Adrian College men's basketball team saw its season end after an 81-65 defeat in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) tournament semifinals on Friday evening. Freshmen Sam Colbert (Indianapolis, Ind.) and Jordan Harris (Indianapolis, Ind.) led the Bulldogs with 15 points in the losing effort.
Final Score: Hope 81, Adrian 65
Location: Olivet, Michigan (Cutler Event Center)
Records: Hope (17-9, 10-4 MIAA), Adrian (17-9, 8-6 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian started the game with an 8-0 run sparked by Colbert draining a three-point jumper. Colbert scored 12 of the Bulldogs first 20 points as Adrian took a 20-6 lead with 11:43 remaining in the first half.
The Flying Dutchmen took their first lead with a 24-2 run that put the score at 30-22 with under four minutes remaining in the half. Adrian would end it's 08:32 field goal drought when senior Justin Webster (Adrian, Mich.) hit a layup that cut the Bulldog deficit to six points, 30-24.
Adrian finished the first half with an 8-2 run that put the score at 37-32 in favor of Hope as the teams entered the locker rooms for halftime.
The Bulldogs outshot the Flying Dutchmen making 13 of their 28 attempts from the floor but still trailed on the scoreboard. Hope built the first half lead on 12 made free throws as four Adrian players found themselves in foul trouble (Jeremy Kalonji and Jordan Harris had three fouls; Webster and Colbert had two).
The second half started with an 8-0 run by Hope to extend the lead to 45-32. The Bulldogs were able to cut the lead down to eight points, 54-46, with 11:55 remaining in regulation.
Facing a 58-46 deficit, Colbert would hit a jumper from behind the arc that would ignite seven straight points for Adrian that would cut the Hope lead to five, 58-53, and force the Flying Dutchmen to call timeout with 8:32 left on the clock.
Hope continued to build its lead as the game winded to a close.
• Colbert drained five three-point jumpers for 15 points. He also tallied three rebounds and an assist.
• Jordan Harris tallied 15 points on 7-14 (50%) shooting from the floor while also pulling down two boards and one assist.
• Justin Webster finished the final game of his senior season with 13 points and eight rebounds.
• Tre'Shon Heard contributed eight points and a team-leading nine assists.
• Jason Beckman led Hope with 26 points and seven assists.
• Dante Hawkins finished with 15 points and six assists.
• Preston Granger had 10 rebounds and 14 points.
• Teddy Ray had a game-high 14 rebounds while also scoring eight points.
Adrian finishes the season with an overall record of 17-9 and a conference mark of 8-6. The Bulldogs qualified for the MIAA tournament for the first time since the 2012-13 season. Head Coach Kyle Lindsey had Adrian improve its overall record by 10 wins in just his second year.