ADRIAN, Mich.--The Adrian College football team (3-3 overall, 2-1 MIAA) looks to keep its momentum going on Saturday when it makes a road trip to Albion College (4-2, 1-2) in a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association game (4-1 overall, 2-0 MIAA). Kickoff at Sprankle-Sprandel Stadium (capacity 4,244) is scheduled for 1 p.m. Here's a preview of the contest:
TEN THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Adrian trails Albion 56-31-1 all-time since the series started in 1906, but the Bulldogs are 6-3 in Albion since 2000. The Britons are 27-13 at home versus the Bulldogs.
- Jim Deere '89 is 59-39 record (.602) in his 10th season as the Adrian head coach. He has piloted the Bulldogs to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association championships in 2012 and 14, and NCAA tournament bids in those seasons.
- Sophomore QB Jack Wurzer leads the MIAA with 264.3 passing yards per game—90 yards more than the next closest signal caller. He also is ranked first with 117 completions and 197 attempts, while his 59.4 percent completion rate is fourth.
- Junior WR Henry Wilson tops the MIAA with 112.8 receiving yards per game and 25.1 yards per grab on 27 receptions (4th). He is ranked 23th in NCAA Division III in receiving yards average. He also is 11th nationally with 24.0 yards per reception.
- Sophomore DB Brandon Kwiatkowski continues the best season of his career with an Adrian-topping 27 tackles (5th in MIAA) and 41 stops overall (8th). In 2018, he posted 18 solo and 31 total tackles.
- Freshman LBs Dwight Mann (26+14=40) and Blake Masterman (26+11=37) are close behind Kwiatkowski, defensively. Sophomore DB Steven Moses adds a career-best 25 solos among 36 total tackles—five short of another personal record.
- Senior RB Colton Randle sits in third place in MIAA rushing with 85.7 yards per game. He has a career-best 514 yards on the ground after rushing for 332 last season. He is 35 yards shy of 1,000 for his career.
- Sophomore RB Jerome Neal (36.0 rush ypg) leads Adrian with five touchdowns.
- Adrian improved four spots to No. 13 in the nation in red-zone defense.
- The Bulldogs are seeking to stop a three-game slide on the road, as their last win away from home was at Alma, 28-23, on Oct. 13, 2018.
- Click here for Adrian and Albion lineups.
- Markell McCoy leads the Britons in rushing at 85.3 ypg, which is good for fourth in the MIAA.
- WR Justin Thomas is fourth in the MIAA in receiving yards average (66.7), but he ranks first with 10 touchdowns through the air and 60 total points.
- His brother, Kyle, calls the signals and has averaged 160.5 yards passing for fourth in the conference. He is first with 17 passing TDs and second with a 155.8 efficiency rating.
LAST TIME OUT
- Adrian came from behind three times to down MIAA co-leader Alma at home, 34-31, during Family Weekend. The Bulldogs trailed 10-7, 17-14 and 24-20.
- The Bulldogs have won 12 of the past 13 meetings versus the Scots.
- Wurzer completed 24 of 32 passes for a school-record 403 yards and four touchdowns.
- Randle ran 15 times for a game-high 74 yards.
- Wilson recorded career- and game-highs of seven catches and 197 yards with two touchdowns.
- Moses (7 solo) and freshman linebacker Blake Masterman (5 solo) paced the Adrian defense with eight total tackles apiece.
- Junior Donald Scott also had two TD receptions on five catches for 69 yards.
- Senior Jalen Parker tied his career best of three receptions and established a personal-record 75 yards.
LAST TIME OUT...vs Albion Britons
- Last season, Adrian lost a 49-42 heartbreaker as Kyle threw a 40-TD pass to his brother Justin Thomas for the game-winning TD with 4.3 seconds left.
- Senior running back Emmanuel Stewart rushed for an Adrian-record 283 yards and scored four touchdowns.
- Wurzer completed 17 of 30 passes for 203 yards and a pair of TDs. He threw two interceptions that were tipped.
- Junior Joe Cleary recorded a game-high five catches for 66 yards and two TDs.
- Moses had a career day of seven tackles and 15 total stops, including two sacks.
Adrian travels to Hancock to square off against MIAA foe Finlandia University on Saturday, Nov. 2
#AdrianBulldogs #BulldogProud #GDTBAB