Bulldogs Fall in MIAA Tournament Final at Albion

Bulldogs Fall in MIAA Tournament Final at Albion

ALBION, Mich. – The men's lacrosse team made a return trip to Albion on Saturday afternoon in the MIAA Tournament Final. The Bulldogs fell during the regular season which meant they had to travel again to Albion for the biggest game of the year. The Britons earned their first MIAA Tournament title and advanced to the NCAA Tournament with a 17-10 win over the Bulldogs.

The tone was set in the first quarter as the Britons led 4-1. Adrian scored the game's first goal at 6:39 from A.J. Smith unassisted. Albion then closed out the quarter with four goals. Tim Urso scored the first two and the last one with just five seconds left in the quarter. Joel Hedemark also scored an unassisted goal.

The Britons did not cool off to start the second quarter and built an 8-1 lead. Urso's fourth goal came at 13:09. Alexander Dziewit, Dominic Hamper and Hedemark scored for Albion putting Adrian in big trouble. The Bulldogs responded with the last three goals of the quarter and trailed 8-4 at halftime. Doug Boyd scored twice and Adam Findlay had a goal and assist.

Dziewit scored twice in the third including a man-up goal to start the third quarter at 14:29. Boyd scored his third of the day at 10:07. Brett Maguire and Smith also scored to make it 11-7 after three quarters.

Adrian cut the lead to 11-8 as Findlay scored at 11:26. Dziewit scored the next two goals to increase the lead back to 13-8 with 8:04 left. Brandon Lebioda and Kyle DeCamp put the icing on the cake with goals to make it 15-8 with 6:02 left. Nick Karapas and Boyd also scored in the fourth for the Bulldogs.

Albion held a 19-11 edge in face-off wins including 9-of-10 in the fourth. Albion attempted 49 shots compared to 39 for the Bulldogs. Albion also had a 38-20 edge in ground balls as DeCamp won 14-of-17 face-offs and had 11 ground balls. Kyle Formanczyk made 14 saves for Albion while Brett Farrelly stopped nine shots for the Bulldogs.