ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College men's soccer team lost to Albion 2-1 on Wednesday night at Docking Stadium in the team's Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association home opener.
Final Score: Adrian 1, Albion 2
Location: Adrian, Mich. (Docking Stadium)
Records: Adrian (3-4, 1-2), Albion (3-4, 2-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
First Half: Adrian 0, Albion 1
• Albion's Gabe Martinez scored an unassisted goal in the 27th minute of the match to give the Britons a 1-0 lead.
• Adrian had a few chances to tie the score in the first half but were halted by the Albion defense led by goalkeeper Justin Kraft (W, 3-4).
• The Bulldogs edged the Britons in shots for the half 8-7.
Second Half: Adrian 1, Albion 2
• Bobby Budlong passed the ball into the box on a counter attack for Albion to teammate Erik Vanfossen who put the ball into the net to double the Briton's lead in the first two minutes of the second half.
• Adrian had chances to score in the second half including one chance from Zachary Roller who took a pass off a free kick at the top of the box and shot it to the left of the net but the shot was saved by Kraft who had to fully extend to make the stop.
• Mark Proctor would score the lone goal for the Bulldogs in the final two minutes of regulation. Zach Combs crossed the ball into the box to a waiting Proctor who was able to put the ball into the top left of the net. The goal gave life to Adrian as the team pressed for the final few minutes but couldn't generate any more points before the clock struck zeros.
• The Bulldogs outshot the Britons in the second half, 17-12, as well as in shots on goal (9-6).
• Proctor score his goal while attempting three total shots, two on goal for the match.
• Sean Cain totaled three shots on goal to lead the Bulldogs in that category.
• Combs got the lone assist in the match.
• Spencer Brown made a valiant effort in goal for Adrian, saving four of the six shots on goal he faced.
• Martinez and Vanfossen each score once for Albion.
• Budlong had the only assist for the Britons.
• Kyle Bourlier, Marinez and Vanfossen led the team with two shots on goal.
• Kraft made eight saves for the night and allowed just one goal
• The Bulldogs will hope to improve their conference standing on Saturday when they host Hope at noon.