ADRIAN, Mich. - The Bulldogs scored two first half goals and a third late in the second to earn the 3-0 shutout of Hope on Saturday afternoon at Docking Stadium. The win gives Adrian a 2-2 record in conference play.
Final Score: Adrian 3, Hope 0
Location: Adrian, Mich. (Docking Stadium)
Records: Adrian (4-4, 2-2), Hope (3-6, 1-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
First half: Adrian 2, Hope 0
• Zach Combs scored his first career goal in a Bulldogs uniform 12:09 into the first half. Teammate Dolan Bonkowski crossed the ball low into the box and Combs put the ball away in the lower part of the net.
• Adrian's second goal was scored off a penalty kick from Brandon Katona, his third goal of the season.
• The Bulldogs edged the Flying Dutchmen in shots, 7-6. Adrian set the pace throughout the first half and were able to capitalize on their chances.
Second half: Adrian 3, Hope 0
• Hope increased pressure in the second half as the Flying Dutchmen were playing catch up, however the Bulldogs were able to not only preserve the shutout but were able to add a third goal.
• In the 74th minute when freshman Garret Miller also scored his first career goal when Nick Watkins tapped the ball to Miller off a free kick and Miller was able to put the ball away into the lower left of the net from outside the box.
• The Flying Dutchmen outshot the Bulldogs 15-9 in the second half and 21-16 for the whole match.
• Katona, Miller and Combs each scored a goal for Adrian.
• Bonkowskit and Watkins each had one assist.
• Goalkeeper Spencer Brown (W, 4-3) tallied eight saves to earn his third clean sheet of the season.
• Jared Wondergem had a game-high three shots on goal for Hope.
• Ryan Roadside had two shots on goal.
• Blair McCormick (L, 3-4) saved five shots of the eight total he faced.
• Adrian travels to face MIAA foe Kalamazoo on Tuesday, September 27 at 7:00 p.m.