ADRIAN, Mich. - Brandon Katona scored in the 18th minute in what would become the game-winning goal as the Adrian College Bulldog men's soccer team gave No. 18 Calvin its first loss in Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association play this season. The win is the first for Adrian against Calvin since 1997 and snaps the Knights 37 regular season MIAA game undefeated streak (last MIAA loss was at Hope on October 15, 2013).
Final Score: Adrian 1, Calvin 0
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Docking Stadium)
Records: Adrian (7-5, 5-3), Calvin (10-2, 7-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
First Half: Adrian 1, Calvin 0
• Brandon Katona had a chance to put the Bulldogs up 1-0 in the 11th minute with a shot in the 6-yard box but Calvin goalkeeper Nate Van Ryn (L, 10-2) made a diving save to keep the game scoreless.
• Katona got another chance when Garret Miller drove a midfield free kick into the box that Zach Combs headed to Katona who was able to chip it over Van Ryn's head and into the net to put Adrian up 1-0.
• Adrian edged Calvin in shots in the first half 5-3, the teams tied in shots on goal 2-2.
Second Half: Adrian 1, Calvin 0
• The Bulldogs played defense for the majority of the second half as Calvin cranked up the pressure in an attempt to get the game-tying goal.
• The Knight would out shoot Adrian 11-5, 4-0 in shots on goal, in the second but would fail to put the ball passed Adrian's defense led by goalkeeper Spencer Brown (W, 7-4).
• Katona scored the lone goal in the game to give the Bulldogs the 1-0 victory, his third game-winner.
• Combs and Miller each recorded an assist. Miller is now tied for second in the MIAA in assists with five.
• Katona had both of Adrian's shots on goal.
• Brown saved all six shots he faced.
• Six Knights had one shot on goal each.
• Van Ryn saved one of the two shots he faced.
• Adrian will stay at home and host Trine in MIAA action on Tuesday, October 11 at 7:00 p.m.