ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College men's soccer team made history on Saturday with a 2-1 win against Kalamazoo on Saturday. The win puts the Bulldogs at 10-6 overall on the season. This is the first 10 win season for the men's soccer program since the inaugural season in 1980. With only two games remaining on the schedule, Adrian will also finish with a record above .500 for the first time in program history.
Final Score: Adrian 2, Kalamazoo 1
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Docking Stadium)
Records: Adrian (10-6, 8-4), Kalamazoo (6-5-4, 6-4-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
First Half: Adrian 1, Kalamazoo 1
• Kalamazoo struck first 1:24 into the game when Kyle Hernandez headed the ball into the net to give the Hornets the 1-0 lead.
• The Hornets outshot the Bulldogs 8-4 in the first half, however, Adrian had more chances to score getting the ball on net five times to Kalamazoo's two.
Second Half: Adrian 2, Kalamazoo 1
• Due to a red card in 53 seconds into the second half, the Hornets had to play with a man down for the rest of the game.
• Mark Proctor would score to put Adrian up 2-1 in the 60th minute. The Bulldogs would tighten defensively for the remainder of the game to earn the victory.
• Adrian attempted seven shots in the final half to Kalamazoo's three.
• Spencer Brown (W, 10-5) saved four of the five shots he faced.
• Hernandez scored the Hornets lone goal. He also had a game-high three shots on goal.
• Cal Kirchen and Roger Mason Darling each recorded one shot on goal.
• Matt Smolinski (L, 6-5-4) saved five of the seven shots he faced.
• The win has the Bulldogs improve to 8-4 in the conference with a firm hold on second place in the MIAA standings.
• Kalamazoo is now 6-4-2 and in the fifth spot in the standings.
• The Bulldogs will stay at home and host Olivet on Tuesday, October 25 at 7:00 p.m. It is the final regular season home game for the Bulldogs and is Senior Night.