KALAMAZOO, Mich. - The Adrian College men's soccer team won in thrilling fashion on Saturday night, defeating Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association foe Kalamazoo 2-1 in overtime. Freshman Justin Tobin (Midland, Mich.) played the hero for the Bulldogs when he scored the game-winning goal at the 5:57 mark of the first overtime, his first career goal.
Final Score: Adrian 2, Kalamazoo 1 - F/OT
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan (MacKenzie Field)
Records: Adrian (3-2-0, 2-0-0 MIAA), Kalamazoo (1-4-1, 0-2-0 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Hornets struck first in the 44th minute to take a 1-0 lead when Nick Kraeuter scored off an assist from Aidan Hurley. The Bulldogs got the equalizer just over a minute later in the final minute of the half when Brad Squires (sophomore, Interlochen, Mich.) scored an unassisted goal.
Neither team was able to score in the second half and ended regulation with a 1-1 tie to force an overtime period. Tobin's goal came in the 6th minute of the first overtime period to clinch the win for Adrian. He was assisted on the play by Garrett Miller (sophomore, Grand Blanc, Mich.) The victory put the Bulldogs at a perfect 2-0 in MIAA play.
Kalamazoo edged Adrian in shots, 14-12 (6-5 on goal). The Bulldogs had the advantage in corner kicks with a 6-3 decision.
• Squires and Tobin both scored a goal on their only shot attempt of the game.
• Luke Warrick (senior, St. Clair Shores, Mich.) saved five of the six shots he faced.
• Squires is now tied for the team-high in goals scored with two on the year.
• Miller tallied his first assist of the season on the overtime winner.
• Kraeuter scored on his only shot attempt.
• Ryan Melgar had five shot attempts (2 on goal) to lead the Kalamazoo offense.
• Goalkeeper Griffin Hamel saved three of the five shots he faced.
Adrian will continue its road trip on Tuesday when the team travels to face Calvin. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m., ET.