SPRINGFIELD, Ohio – The Adrian College men's soccer team kicked off its season with a win on Friday, August 31 as they defeated Wittenberg by a score of 2-1.
Final Score: Adrian 2, Wittenberg 1
Location: Springfield, Ohio (Edwards-Maurer Field)
Records: Adrian 1-0 (0-0 MIAA), Wittenberg 0-1 (0-0 NCAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Wittenberg drew first blood, converting on a penalty in the sixth minute to take the early lead. The Tigers' didn't have the lead for long, as junior Garrett Miller scored an impressive goal in the 11th minute to tie it up. Miller took the ball away from a Wittenberg defender and chipped the ball over the goalkeeper from 35 yards out to draw even. The scoring took a hiatus for most of the match, until junior Dayton Rush was able to score in the 83rd minute to give the Bulldogs the victory. Rush had a cool finish from the top of the box after sophomore Jordan Miller fed him the ball for the assist. Garrett Miller also picked up an assist on the play.
The Bulldogs were the dominant team in a physical match, outshooting the Tigers 20-8 (14-5 on goal). A total of five cards were given out in the game, with Adrian picking up four yellow cards, and Wittenberg having a player ejected from a red card in the 38th minute
• Garrett Miller and Rush each put two shots on target and netted a goal for the team, with Miller picking up an assist on Rush's game-winner.
• Junior goalkeeper Spencer Brown played the entire game and finished with four saves on the night.
• Alberto Zaragoza score the Tigers' lone goal and had three of the team's five shots on goal.
• Goalkeeper Jack Snider made an impressive 12 saves on the day.
• "I thought the guys worked and grinded out a win. As a group, I think we can say it wasn't our best, but they found a way to get the job done." - Head Coach Ryan McDonald
• "I like where we are at and it's a good start; but we still have work to do." - Head Coach Ryan McDonald
The Bulldogs are off until next Friday, September 7, when they travel to Wilmington, Ohio for the Kiwanis Classic. The two-day event will see the Black and Gold face Denison on Sep. 7 and Kenyon on Sep. 8.;
#GoBulldogs | #BulldogProud | #GoDawgs