ADRIAN, Mich.--For the third consecutive time, the Adrian College men's tennis team trailed 2-1 after doubles only to earn a come-from-behind victory. On Thursday, the Bulldogs did the trick against NAIA-scholarship opponent Spring Arbor University in non-conference action at the Craft Tennis Complex.
Sophomore Nathan Waterbury snapped a 4-4 tie to get the Bulldogs the victory, coming from behind to edge Connor Mogle at No. 4 singles, 6-7 (5), 6-3, 6-1.
Classmate Tanner Wilcox picked up two points for Adrian, teaming up with fellow sophomore Kyle Haines at No. 3 doubles to top Thomas Hall, Patrick Doerr, 8-3. Wilcox also won at No. 3 singles over Ryan MacLean in three sets, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1.
Adrian has won four in a row overall to move above the .500-mark at 8-7. Meanwhile, the Cougars--who play out of the Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference--fall to 13-7 on the season. They also saw their four-match road winning streak snapped by the Bulldogs, who are 3-1 versus NAIA-scholarship programs this season.
The Bulldogs resume Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association competition on Wednesday (4 p.m.) when they host MIAA power and nationally-regarded Kalamazoo College.
#AdrianBulldogs #GoDawgs #BulldogProud
1. Nick Romano (SAU) def. Ronald Ducharme (AC) 6-2, 6-2
2. Jeff Sophiea (AC) def. Alex Reinbold (SAU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Tanner Wilcox (AC) def. Ryan MacLean (SAU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
4. Nathan Waterbury (AC) def. Connor Mogle (SAU) 6-7, 6-3, 6-1
5. Sam Head (SAU) def. Kyle Haines (AC) 6-4, 6-2
6. Jonathon Rhind (AC) def. Thomas Hall (SAU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Romano / Jonah Engle (SAU) def. Ducharme / Rhind (AC) 8-5
2. Reinbold / MacLean (SAU) def. Sophiea / Waterbury (AC) 8-2
3. Wilcox / Haines (AC) def. Hall / Patrick Doerr (SAU) 8-3