ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College men's volleyball team opened up the 2017 season hosting the eighth-ranked Carthage Red Men on Saturday morning. Adrian kept the score close in two of the three sets but Carthage was able to pull away to beat the Bulldogs in three straight sets (25-15, 25-14, 25-18). Avery Johnson led the Bulldogs offensively with a team-high seven kills.
Final Score: Carthage 3, Adrian 0 (25-15, 25-14, 25-18)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (MSFC)
Records: Carthage (3-1), Adrian (0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
First Set: Carthage 25, Adrian 15 (Carthage 1, Adrian 0)
• Adrian kept the score close at the beginning of set one, before Carthage scored four straight points to increase the lead, 10-5.
• The Bulldogs cut the deficit to four points, 17-13, however, the Red Man scored six straight points to claim the first double-digit lead of the match, 23-13.
• Carthage had a team hitting percentage of .269; Adrian had .069.
Second Set: Carthage 25, Adrian 14 (Carthage 2, Adrian 0)
• The Red Men dominated play in the second set, building a 22-7 lead over Adrian.
• The Bulldogs would score nine of the next 11 points to trail Carthage 24-14.
• The Red Men's hitting percentage dipped a bit in the second set to .143; Adrian's was -.042 (the only set that an attack percentage was negative for either team).
Third Set: Carthage 25, Adrian 18 (Carthage 3, Adrian 0)
• Both teams traded points for much of the set. With the score tied at 13, the Bulldogs scored two straight points to take their first lead of the match, 15-13.
• The Red Men scored three straight points to re-take the lead, 17-16.
• Carthage finished the set scoring eight of the last 10 points in the set to finish the match with a set three win, 25-18.
• The third set was the best for both teams in the hitting percentage category. Carthage had a .333 percentage; Adrian a .207.
• Johnson had a team-high seven kills. He also tallied one block assist.
• Joseph Campana paced the offense with 16 assists. He also had one block assist, one service ace, and four digs.
• Zach Lillig had a match-high 11 kills.
• Matt Reinsel led the offense with 29 assists and a match-high three service aces.
• Cody Bolan had a match-high 10 digs.
Vs. North Central - Avery Johnson led the Bulldogs in the second match of the day with five kills, but Adrian fell to the Cardinals in three straight sets.
Final Score: North Central 3, Adrian 0 (25-10, 25-17, 25-23)
Location: Adrian, Mich. (MSFC)
Records: North Central (3-1), Adrian (0-2, 0-2 MCVL)
HOW IT HAPPENED
First Set: North Central 25, Adrian 10 (NCC 1, AC 0)
• The Cardinals used a big hitting percentage of .533 to dictate the pace of the opening set and pulled away early for a 1-0 lead.
• The Bulldogs suffered from a slow start and finished the first set with a -.150 hitting percentage.
Second Set: North Central 25, Adrian 17 (NCC 2, AC 0)
• North Central started the second set fast, jumping out to a 5-0 lead.
• Adrian scored six of the next eight points to cut the lead to one point, 7-6.
• The Bulldogs kept the set score within four points for much of the middle of the set, but the Cardinals pulled away at the end to take a 2-0 lead into the third set.
• Adrian improved its hitting percentage, finishing the second set .091.
Third Set: North Central 25, Adrian 23 (NCC 3, AC 0)
• North Central jumped out to an 11-5 lead before the Bulldogs tied the set at 16 points.
• Adrian was able to bring the deficit within one point but the Cardinals were able to hold onto a slim 25-23 set win to claim the 3-0 match win.
• Johnson had five kills, three digs, and one block assist.
• Joseph Campana finished with 12 assists and six digs.
• Nick Lilley had a match-high nine kills and four block assists.
• Michael Trunzo finished with 31 assists and five digs.
• The Bulldogs will look for their first win of the season when they travel to face Midwest Collegiate Volleyabll League opponent Greenville on Friday, February 3. The match is set to begin at 8:00 p.m.