GREENVILLE, Ill. - The Adrian College men's volleyball team forced a deciding, fifth set after trailing 2-1, but Greenville was able to pull out a close 15-12 fifth set victory to take the match. Noah Marcinkowski led the Bulldogs with a match-high 18 kills.
Final Score: Greenville 3, Adrian 2 - (25-18, 23-25, 25-21, 21-25, 15-12)
Location: Greenville, Illinois (H.J. Long Gymnasium)
Records: Greenville (3-4, 1-3 MCVL), Adrian (0-3, 0-3 MCVL)
HOW IT HAPPENED
First Set: Greenville 25, Adrian 18 (Greenville 1, Adrian 0)
• The Bulldogs jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead in the opening set before the Panthers scored their first point.
• Adrian continues to hold the lead throughout the beginning of the set until Greenville scored 12 straight points to gain its first lead of the match, 19-9.
• The Panthers kept a lead the for the remainder of the set, the Bulldogs brought the score to seven but that is the closest they came in set one.
Adrian hitting percentage - .250
Greenville hitting percentage - .231
Second Set: Adrian 25, Greenville 23 (Match tied 1-1)
• The score was kept close for most of the set, Greenville built a six-point lead (the largest lead of the set).
• Adrian scored seven straight points to capture a slim, one-point, lead 17-16.
• The Panthers retook the lead, 20-18 before the Bulldogs scored four points to take a 22-20 advantage and eventually the set.
Adrian hitting percentage - .273
Greenville hitting percentage - .179
Third Set: Greenville 25, Adrian 21 (Greenville 2, Adrian 1)
• Similar to the second set, the score stayed close throughout with the lead changing hands multiple times.
• Greenville held set point with a lead of 24-18. The Bulldogs scored three straight points to cut the Panther lead to three points, but the Panthers took the set.
Adrian hitting percentage - .156
Greenville hitting percentage - .273
Fourth Set: Adrian 25, Greenville 21 (Match tied 2-2)
• Adrian scored 12 of the first 16 points for its biggest lead of the match, 12-4.
• Greenville went on a small run, tying the set 17-17.
• The Bulldogs would retake the lead and eventually the set, 25-21.
Adrian hitting percentage - .265
Greenville hitting percentage - .108
Fifth Set: Greenville 15, Adrian 12 (Greenville wins 3-2)
• Adrian started fast again, scoring the set's first four points. The Panters responded, scoring the next four points to tie the score.
• With the score tied at 11, Greenville four of the last five points to take the set and the match.
Adrian hitting percentage - -.050
Greenville hitting percentage - .059
• Marcinkowski led with a match-high 18 kills. He also tallied seven digs and three service aces.
• Eduardo Aleman had 12 kills, nine digs, and two service aces.
• Kevin Curley tallied eight kills and two block assists.
• Kyle Ward (16) and Manuel Benitez (12) led the Panthers in kills.
• Tanner Smith led the team on defense with 20 digs and seven service aces.
• Andrew Johnson and Benitez each had 13 and 11 digs respectively.
• Adrian travels to face Fontbonne tomorrow (Saturday, Feb. 4). The match is scheduled to begin at 11:00 a.m.