CHICAGO - The Adrian College men's volleyball team forced a fifth and final set, but Illinois Tech pulled out the victory, 15-12, to win the match 3-2. Kevin Curley and Noah Marcinkowski led the Bulldogs offense with 11 kills each.
Final Score: Illinois Tech 3, Adrian 2 (25-18, 21-25, 25-21, 24-26, 15-12)
Location: Chicago, Illinois (Keating Sports Center)
Records: Illinois Tech (4-12), Adrian (2-7)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Set One: Illinois Tech 25, Adrian 18 (Illinois Tech 1-0)
• The Scarlet Hawks used a 12-4 run in the first set take a 17-9 lead and the first set, 25-18.
• The Bulldogs struggled in the first set, combining for a team hitting percentage of .074 while Illinois Tech hit for .333.
Second Set: Adrian 25, Illinois Tech 21 (Match tied 1-1)
• The score remained close throughout the second set, but Adrian was able to take a slight lead, 24-21, to pull out the win and tie the match at one set all.
• The Bulldogs improved their attack in the second, hitting for .229 while holding the Scarlet Hawks to .057.
Third Set: Illinois Tech 25, Adrian 21 (Illinois Tech 2-1)
• The third set looked almost identical to the second, however, Illinois Tech was able to pull out the four-point win, 25-21.
• The Bulldogs kept the score close in the set the entire way despite their match-low -.030 hitting percentage (Ill. Tech hit .154).
Fourth Set: Adrian 26, Illinois Tech 24 (Match tied 2-2)
• Both teams hit below .100 for the fourth set (Adrian .094; Ill. Tech .097), keeping the score within a few points all the way to a 24-24 tie.
• The Bulldogs took the fourth set by scoring two-straight points and forcing a fifth and final set.
Fifth Set: Illinois Tech 15, Adrian 12
• Both teams hit for their highest percentage in the final set, Adrian .316; Illinois Tech .444.
• The score stayed close through most of the set until the Scarlet Hawks pulled out to a three-point lead, 13-10, and Adrian was unable to recover.
• Curley and Marcinkowski each had a team-high 11 kills.
• Curley added eight digs, three block assists, one solo block, and a service ace.
• Marcinkowski had 10 digs, a block assist, and a service ace.
• Joseph Campana tallied 36 assists to pace the Bulldog offense. He also led the team with 19 digs.
• Daniel Contreras contributed 13 digs defensively.
• Lukasz Kupiec had a match-high 23 kills. He was also second on the team in assists with 16.
• Andrew Woltman was the primary assist guy with 28.
• Derek Bostick was the defensive leader tallying 19 digs.
• Adrian travels to Trinity Christian tomorrow (Sat., Feb. 25) for a tri-match with the host and Calumet College of St. Joseph.
• The Bulldogs will square off against the Trolls from Trinity Christian first at 11:00 a.m., before facing off against Calumet at 3:00 p.m.