ADRIAN, MICH. -- The Adrian College men's volleyball team earned a convincing 3-0 win over Augustana (Ill.) on Saturday afternoon to improve to 2-6 in the Midwest Collegiate Volleyball League (MCVL). Noah Marcinkowski (Menifee, Calif.) led the Bulldog attack with 16 kills.
Final Score: Adrian 3, Augustana 0 (25-21, 25-22, 27-25)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Merillat Sports and Fitness Center)
Records: Adrian (6-12, 2-6 MCVL), Augustana (9-16, 2-5 MCVL)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian took an early 1-0 lead by tallying 12 kills on 23 total attacks with only three errors for a match-high .391 attack percentage in a 25-21 victory in the opening set. Augustana (Ill.) also hit the ball well in the first with a 16 kills, six error, 31 total attacks (.323) showing.
The Vikings held the edge in hitting percentage in set two (.265 vs. .167) despite the Bulldogs pulling out a close 25-22 decision and pulling ahead 2-0 in the set score.
Adrian closed out the match with a 27-25 edge in the third set. The Bulldogs let an 18-13 lead slip away as Augie rattled eight of the next 11 points to take the 21-20 lead that forced an Adrian timeout.
The Vikings scored following the timeout, pushing the lead to two points and putting themselves in position to force a fourth set (22-20). Down 23-21, the Bulldogs scored three consecutive points to retake the lead, 24-23, before scoring the final two points to put the match away.
• Marcinkowski's stat line read 16 kills, two service aces, three digs, and five blocks (1 BS, 4 BA).
• Kevin Curley (Zion, Ill.) contributed with 10 kills, six digs, and a block (BS).
• Michael Burkhardt (Whitehall, Pa.) tallied nine kills, six digs, and two blocks (2 BA) to help in the win.
• Joseph Campana (Los Angeles, Calif.) had a team-high 35 assists and was one of four Bulldogs to lead the team with six digs.
• Kyle Bell (Lake Orion, Mich.) was the final Adrian player with six digs. He also tallied an assist in the match.
• Justin Murphy led the Vikings in both kills (11) and digs (8).
• Ryan Hirschel finished with a match-high 36 assists.
• Richard Baum and Matthew Schiferl helped Murphy lead the defense with eight digs.
Adrian travels to Hiram next Friday, March 30, to compete in the two-day Hiram Invitational. The Bulldogs will face Juniata on day one at 8:00 p.m., ET.