ADRIAN, Mich. – The Adrian College men's volleyball team opened day two of the Michigan Men's Volleyball Invitational with a win over fellow Midwest Collegiate Volleyball League member Olivet College, 3-1.
Final Score: Adrian 3, Olivet 1 (22-25, 25-20, 25-21, 25-16)
Location: Adrian, Mich. (Merillat Sport and Fitness Center)
Records: AC 2-1, OC 0-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian didn't do itself any favors in the first set, hitting just .097 during Olivet's only set victory, a 25-22 decision. The Bulldogs would right the ship in the second set, holding off a late Comet comeback to even the match with a 25-20 set victory.
The Bulldogs' offense came alive in the third setting, hitting at .324 for the highest pct. of the match. Junior Noah Marcinkowski and senior Mike Gold each picked up five kills in the third set as AC put itself 25 points from victory with a 25-21 win in the third set. The Black and Gold would not be denied in the fourth set, cruising to a 25-16 victory in the final frame to take the match at 3-1.
For the first time this year Adrian was actually out-blocked, with Olivet stuffing 13 Bulldog attempts to Adrian's 11 total team blocks in the match. AC's offense got the better of Olivet's however, with the Bulldogs hitting .227 to the Comets' .113.
• Marcinkowski racked up 18 kills and hit .359. Gold added nine kills and fellow senior Michael Burkhardt picked up eight and hit at a team-high .412 pct.
• Junior Joseph Campana had 44 of Adrian's 46 assists.
• Junior Kevin Curley led the squad in digs with 16, while Marcinkowski and Burkhardt each had 3.5 blocks.
• Brock Pringle and Trent Robinson led Olivet's offense with 13 and 12 kills, respectively.
• Aaron Giorgi finished with 39 assists.
• Robinson and Dan Hayes each assisted on five blocks.
Adrian will finish the Michigan Men's Volleyball Invitational later today with the final match of the invite against cross-town rival Siena Heights. First serve is scheduled for 1:30 p.m.
#GoBulldogs | #ACMV | #Culture19 | #BulldogBall