ERIE, Pa. – The Adrian College men's volleyball team dropped the first match of the Penn State-Behrend triangular to PSU-Behrend in three sets on Saturday, Feb. 9. It was the Bulldogs' first match since sweeping Olivet on Tuesday, Jan. 29.
Final Score: Penn State-Behrend 3, Adrian 0 (25-20, 25-21, 25-17)
Location: Erie, Pa. (Junker Center)
Records: AC 5-4, PSB 4-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
The first set was close until the very end of the set. The largest lead of the set was only three points for Penn State-Behrend until it won the last three points of the set to take the set 25-20. The Lions outhit the Bulldogs .297 to .133, which would be a recurring theme in the match.
Both teams hit their worst in the second set, with AC connecting at a .029 rate and PSB hitting .243. That difference would prove key for the Lions, taking the second set over the Black and Gold 25-21. Penn State-Behrend led the whole way and held off a late-set Adrian comeback to put itself one set away from victory.
The Lions would get the final set they needed in the third set, hitting an impressive .433 as a team in the final set. It was also the set with the largest score differential as PSB took an early lead and didn't look back on the way to a 25-17 set victory to secure the match.
• Junior Joseph Campana accounted for 28 of Adrian's 29 assists in the match.
• Gula and junior Kevin Curley led the defense with 10 and nine digs, respectively. Burkhardt picked up two solo blocks to lead AC's net defense.
• Dillon Hildebrand led Penn State-Behrend's offense with 19 kills. He was the only player on either team with double digit kills.
• Anthony Sprentz totaled 35 assists for the Lions.
• Robert McMaster led PSB's defense with 12 digs, with Tyler Herrmann and Sprentz each adding nine.
The Bulldogs play in game two of the Penn State-Behrend triangular later today against St. John Fisher. First serve is scheduled for 1 p.m.
#GoBulldogs | #ACMV | #Culture19 | #BulldogBall