ADRIAN, Mich. – The Adrian College men's volleyball team won two matches against Goshen College in a doubleheader on Wednesday, Feb. 27. The two wins improve the Bulldogs' program-record winning streak to six matches.
Match One: Adrian 3, Goshen 1 (25-22, 22-25, 25-17, 25-17)
Match Two: Adrian 3, Goshen 2 (25-23, 19-25, 21-25, 25-21, 15-7)
Location: Adrian, Mich. (Merillat Sport and Fitness Center)
Records: AC 11-5, GC 5-15
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian took the first of nine sets in the night 25-22, hitting .343 in the set. The second set did not go as well for the Bulldogs, as they dropped the set to Goshen by the same score, and only hit .152, their lowest percentage of the first match. AC was able to right the ship in the third and fourth set, winning each by a score of 25-17 to take the first match 3-1, hitting .257 and .276, respectively. Junior Noah Marcinkowski narrowly missed out on 20 kills, finishing the match with 19. Classmate Joseph Campana finished the night's opening match with a season-high 47 assists.
The Bulldogs were able to take a closely contested first set again in the second match, winning 25-23 and hitting .250. The Maple Leafs then took it to the Black and Gold, winning the second set 25-19 and the third set 25-21, putting AC on the ropes. Adrian only hit .059 in the second set, its worst percentage on the night, and .158 in the third set. The Bulldogs showed resiliency and fought hard with their backs against the wall, taking the fourth set 25-21 before cruising through the fifth and final set of the night 15-7 while hitting .476. Eleven of Adrian's 15 points in the final set came from kills. Marcinkowski hit the 20-kill mark in the second set, finishing with 21 while Campana surpassed his previous season-high in assists with 53 the second time around, a new program record.
• Marcinkowski ended the night with 40 total kills, with his 21 in the second match a new season-high and tying him for third-most in a match in school history. Freshman Tedrick Gula finished with 27 kills on the night and senior Michael Burkhardt had 23.
• Campana broke his season-high in assists twice tonight, with 47 in the first match and 53 in the second for a total of 100 on the night. His 53 assist performance is a new career-high and program record for assists in a match.
• Alexander Rabadzhiev had a game-high 48 kills on the night, with a match-high 27 in the final match.
• Michael Wahl finished with 93 total assists and had 52 in the second match, one shy of Campana's mark of 53.
• Nick Yutzy led the Maple Leafs with 42 digs and Andy Bennett was a part of 10 Goshen blocks.
Adrian heads west for the Cal-Lu-Fornia Classic, hosted by California Lutheran. The Bulldogs will play five matches over seven days, with the first match scheduled for Thursday, March. 7 at 10 p.m. ET against hosts Cal Lutheran.
#GoBulldogs | #ACMV | #Culture19 | #BulldogBall