ADRIAN, Mich. – The Adrian College men's volleyball team lost in three sets to North Central College (Ill.) on Friday, March 29 in Midwest Collegiate Volleyball League (MCVL) action. It was the first home match in over a month for the Bulldogs, who last played in the Merillat Sport and Fitness Center on Feb. 27 this year.
Final Score: North Central 3, Adrian 0 (25-20, 25-16, 25-16)
Location: Adrian, Mich. (Merillat Sport and Fitness Center)
Records: AC 15-12 (3-3 MCVL), NCC 15-9 (5-2 MCVL)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The teams traded punches early in the first set before North Central started to open the match up. A five-point run prompted a timeout from the Adrian bench, but ultimately turned into a larger run of 9-2 to give NCC an 18-10 lead. Adrian pulled within three multiple times but couldn't close the gap any further, losing the opening set 25-20.
It was all Cardinals in the second set, as NCC hit .538 in the middle frame. North Central took the first three points and led by 10, 13-3, before the Bulldogs started to climb back. The closest the set got was a six-point spread as the Cardinals took the set with ease, 25-16.
Adrian took it too North Central early in the third set, winning four of the first five points to go up 4-1. AC didn't trail in the set until a six-point run by NCC erased the Black and Gold's lead and turned it into a four-point advantage for the Cardinals. The Bulldogs won four consecutive points of their own to tie the set up at 21 all before North Central took the last four points to end the set 25-21, and the match 3-0.
• Freshman Peyton Doelling led Adrian's offense with nine kills. His .261 hitting percentage was best on the team among those with at least 10 attack attempts.
• Junior setter Joseph Campana picked up 28 assists.
• Junior Noah Marcinkowski led the squad with 11 digs while Campana assisted on five blocks.
• Jacob Zemba and Bozhidar Kolev led the Cardinals' attack with 20 and 18 kills, respectively.
• Michael Trunzo totaled 43 assists over the three sets.
• Trunzo and Kharasch each had 11 digs to lead NCC's defense.
The Bulldogs are back in action tomorrow, Saturday March 30, when top-ranked Carthage comes to town for a conference matchup. First serve is scheduled for 1 p.m. and fans are encouraged to wear white.
#GoBulldogs | #ACMV | #Culture19 | #BulldogBall