ADRIAN, MICH. -- The Adrian College women's lacrosse team pushed late in the game but could not complete the comeback, falling to Alma 15-11 in the team's Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) home opener. Gwyneth Brodbeck (Lake Orion, Mich.) led the Bulldogs with six goals in the losing effort.
Final Score: Alma 15, Adrian 11
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Docking Stadium)
Records: Alma (4-2, 1-0 MIAA), Adrian (1-6, 0-1 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Bulldogs took an early 3-1 lead in the opening six minutes. The Scots scored the next five goals to take a 6-3 lead with just a little over 12 minutes left in the half. Brodbeck scored the first of her six goals in the first half to cut the deficit to two goals when she scored on a free position shot with 7:16 left on the clock. Alma scored the final three goals of the first half to take a 9-4 lead into the locker room.
Five of the seven goals scored in the second half for Adrian came from Brodbeck as she tried to lead the Bulldog comeback. Mariesa Johnson (Algonac, Mich.) scored the other two goals for Adrian in the second half.
• Brodbeck scored her six goals on six shots. She also led the Bulldogs with 10 ground balls while hauling in four draw controls as well as causing four turnovers.
• Johnson finished with three goals, four ground balls, one draw control and one caused turnover.
• Gabriella Storin (Neenah, Wis.) tallied the other two Adrian goals in the game.
• Hannah Emerson (L, 1-6) made nine saves in 60 minutes of play.
• Brianna Soriano scored six goals to lead the Scots.
• Shelby Frazer (4) and Olivia Benoit (4) had four goals respectively.
• Soriano led Alma with eight ground balls.
• Sam DeBoer recorded a game-high six draw controls.
• Stephanie Mangutz had a team-high four caused turnovers.
The Bulldogs travel to Grand Rapids, Michigan on Saturday, March 31, to face MIAA foe Calvin at 4:00 p.m., ET.