ADRIAN, Mich. – The Adrian College women's lacrosse team lost to Calvin College 16-5 on Saturday, March 30 in the Bulldogs' conference home opener in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association. The loss snaps AC's four-game winning streak.
Final Score: Calvin 16, Adrian 5
Location: Adrian, Mich. (Kapnick Field at Docking Stadium)
Records: AC 5-2 (1-1 MIAA), CC 6-3 (1-0 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Calvin scored three times in the game's first two minutes, setting the tone for the rest of the game. After an Adrian timeout, senior Annie Rice got the Bulldogs on the board just less than five minutes in to make it 3-1. The Knights then went on a 9-0 run to make it 12-1 and invoke the running clock rule with 7:24 to go in the first half. AC ended up getting one more before halftime, when sophomore Gwyneth Carlson scored with help from Rice to cut the deficit to 10 heading into the break.
It was a different story in the second half, with the goals coming at a much slower pace. Neither team found the back of the cage for almost half of the second, until sophomore Hannah Roegner scored with 16:38 remaining to open the scoring in the second half and stop the clock. Calvin answered less than a minute later and Carlson then scored again before three more for the Knights put the game above the 10-goal threshold for good, with Calvin coming away with the 16-5 victory.
• Carlson had two goals with Rice having one and two assists. The other Bulldogs' goal scorers were Roegner and freshman Cristin Culbertson.
• Roegner, Carlson, and freshman Olive Stevens, each had three ground balls.
• Carlson also led the team in draw controls, with five.
• Senior Rachel Smestad caused three turnovers to lead the team's defensive effort.
• All three Adrian goaltender saw time in net, with senior Hannah Emerson starting and making five saves for the loss. Freshman Sydney Doroh only saw a little bit of time at the end of the first half and didn't see any shots, while classmate Emily Anderson played the entire second half and finished with three saves.
• Genevieve Schneeman led the Knights with six goals and two assists. Megan Gilbert was right behind her with three goals and three helpers.
• Alyssa Gagnon finished with 11 draw controls and Drew Jansma had a game-high four ground balls.
• Ellis Chalfant made four saves in the win.
Adrian heads to Albion on Tuesday, April 4 for a conference test with the Britons. The game is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.
#GoBulldogs | #EarnIt