ADRIAN, Mich. – The Adrian College women's lacrosse team ended its three-game losing streak by defeating Trine University 16-6 in Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) play on Wednesday, April 10. The win is Adrian's sixth on the year, making it the most number of wins in a season for the Black and Gold since 2014 when the Bulldogs won 12 games en route to an MIAA Championship.
Final Score: Adrian 16, Trine 6
Location: Adrian, Mich. (Kapnick Field at Docking Stadium)
Records: AC 6-4 (2-3 MIAA), TU 4-7 (0-3 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian got on the board 2:07 into the game with a goal from sophomore Gwyneth Carlson, but her tally was answered 35 seconds later by Trine. AC regained the lead on a free position goal from freshman Carlee Casteel, the start of a three-goal run for the Bulldogs. After Trine halted the run, Adrian went on another three-goal spell, scoring all three in a span of 54 seconds to go up 7-2, causing Trine to take a timeout and talk things over. The Thunder got one more back before halftime, converting on a free position shot to make it 7-3 at the break.
Carlson picked up a goal 29 seconds into the second half but the teams ended up trading the first four goals of the half, keeping it a four-goal game. That wouldn't last long as the Black and Gold rattled off five straight to blow the game wide open. Trine stopped the bleeding and scored a goal with eight minutes left but that was the only offense it had left, as the Bulldogs put up two more after that to make it a ten-goal lead and ice the game.
• Carlson and senior Annie Rice led the team with four goals each and Rice picked up an assist to give her a five-point game.
• Casteel scooped up five ground balls to lead the way.
• Freshman Olive Stevens and Carlson each corralled six draw controls and Carlson caused three turnovers.
• Senior goaltender Hannah Emerson made four saves in the win.
• Kristin John and Kristen Nguyen each scored twice for the Thunder.
• Mia Schlueter picked up six ground balls and Nguyen came away with four draw controls.
• Emily Morthorst stopped six shots for the loss.
Adrian takes a break from MIAA play with a pair of conference games. The Bulldogs host Cleary University tomorrow, Thursday April 11 to finish out play this week before heading down to Mount Union on Tuesday, April 16. Tomorrow's game is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.
#GoBulldogs | #EarnIt