ADRIAN, Mich. - Freshman Mya Oleksiak (Shelby, Mich.) scored twice and sophomore Caroline Fleming (Grosse Ile, Mich.) tied an Adrian College record for assists in a single game with three to lead the Bulldogs women's soccer team to a 3-0 win over Olivet on Wednesday night.
Final Score: Adrian 3, Olivet 0
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Docking Stadium)
Records: Adrian (6-2-1, 3-1-1 MIAA), Olivet (5-3, 3-3 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Bulldogs scored early when Caroline Fleming's shot glanced off the post and Mya Oleksiak put the ball into the net off the rebound. Mackenzie Wilcox scored the insurance goal in the 17th minute when she booted a ball from 20-yards out and it beat the keeper into the top left of the net. Assisting on the play was Fleming, her second assist of the game. Fleming tallied her third and final assist of the game in the 28th minute when she crossed the ball into the box where Oleksiak finished the play with a header that put the Bulldogs up 3-0.
The Adrian defense held the Comets to zero shots in the opening half. The Bulldogs tallied nine shots (6 on goal) in the first. Olivet keeper Brooklyn Holley (L, 5-3) made three saves.
Adrian continued to press in the second half, generating 14 shots for a total of 23 on the night. The Bulldogs also created additional chances to score, but Holley was able to make all five saves in the second.
• Oleksiak scored twice on three shot attempts, all of which were on goal.
• Fleming tallied eight shots (4 on goal) and a season-high three assists.
• Wilcox finished with one goal on five shots, two of them were on goal.
• Goalkeeper Ayverie Giller (W, 6-1-1) recorded her third shutout of the season.
• Adrian's back line consisting of sophomores Kyla Sovran (Belle River, Ontario), Melissa Brick (Grosse Ile, Mich.), Brooke Teska (Trenton, Mich.) and Rachel Rodeheffer (Commerce Twp., Mich.) limited a Comets offense that came into the game averaging 2.14 goals per game to only two shots for the game, none of which were on goal.
• Emma Essen and Chelsie Smith each had a shot attempt for Olivet.
• Holley made eight saves on the night.
Adrian travels to Kalamazoo on Saturday, September 23 to face the Hornets in MIAA league play. Kickoff is set for 3:00 p.m., ET.