ANGOLA, Ind. - The Adrian College softball team finished the 2017 regular season with two road losses at Trine. The Bulldogs finished with a record of 12-25 for the season and 5-10 in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association. Paige VanAtta led the Bulldogs with two hits and four RBIs in game one. She also tallied one of the four hits for Adrian in game two.
Final Scores: GAME ONE: Trine 16, Adrian 6 (5); GAME TWO: Trine 5, Adrian 0
Location: Angola, Indiana (SportONE/Parkview SB)
Records: Trine (30-6, 11-5 MIAA), Adrian (12-26, 5-11 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Adrian scored two runs to open the first inning or game one. Trine responded at the bottom of the inning by scoring 11 runs to take an 11-2 lead early in the game.
• The Thunder scored one run in the second and four more runs in the third to take a 16-2 lead at the end of the third inning.
• The Bulldogs scored four runs in the fourth to cut the lead to ten, but they failed to score enough to stop the game from ending at the conclusion of the fifth.
• Game two remained locked at 0-0 through the first two innings.
• Trine broke the deadlock in the third, scoring three runs.
• The Thunder scored another in the fourth and then one in each the sixth and seventh innings.
• VanAtta was 2-for-3 in game one. She scored one run and had four RBIs in game one. She was also one of four hitters in the second game.
• Natalia Younan went a perfect 2-for-2 in game one. She also scored a run for Adrian in the first game.
• Younan (1-for-2), VanAtta (1-for-2), Krista Lynch (1-for-3), and Foss (1-for-3) each had one hit in the second game of the day.
• Kaitlin Lock (L, 4-10) pitched game two for the Bulldogs. She struck out five batters while allowing eight hits and four earned runs.
• Michaela Hartline (2-for-2), Kaylee Fox (3-for-4), Carly Bachna (2-for-3), and Lainey McCue (2-for-3) were Trine's big hitters in game one.
• McCue scored three runs in the first game while also tallying two RBIs.
• Hartline and Bachna had a game-one high four RBIs. She along with teammates McCue and Emily White tallied two hits in game two.
• White also scored two runs for the Thunder in game two.
• Hannah Kampmann (W, 13-2) pitched seven innings and struck out seven batters while allowing four hits in game two.
SEASON WRAP UP
• Adrian finishes the season in the seventh spot in the league standings with a 5-11 conference record.
• Paige Cubberly finishes the season as the team leader in hits (32), RBIs (21), and batting average (.311).
• She also finished with a pitching record of 6-6, 30 strikeouts, and a team-low ERA of 3.77.