CLERMONT, FLA. - The Adrian College softball team loss 3-1 to Eastern University in the team's opening game of the 2018 season before cruising past Johnson St. 9-0 in five innings to split on the day. Freshman Jamie Bell (Lake Orion, Mich.) was three for six and scored two runs in her Adrian College debut.
Final Scores: Game 1: Eastern 3, Adrian 1 / Game 2: Adrian 9, Johnson St. 0 F/5 innings
Location: Clermont Florida
Records: Eastern (1-0), Johnson St. (0-1), Adrian (1-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
In game one, both teams remained scoreless through the first four innings. Eastern scored two runs in the bottom of the fifth to go up 2-0. Both runs were scored off singles.
The Eagles scored the games final run in the bottom of the sixth inning off a double that put the score at 3-1 where it would stay for the remainder of the game.
Game two saw Adrian get back on track as the Bulldogs scored six runs through the first three innings. Bell scored on a wild pitch in the first to put Adrian up 1-0. Paige Cubberly (Toledo, Ohio) scored the final run of the first to put the score at 2-0.
Jaime Lightner (Eaton Rapids, Mich.) singled in the second to score both Cubberly and Budde to increase the Adrian lead to four runs.
Paige VanAtta (East Lansing, Mich.) scored in the bottom of the third. Budde hit a sacrifice fly to score to score Branscum, putting the score at 6-0, Bulldogs.
Bell, Lightner, and Jalyn DeForest (Concord, Mich.) scored the final three runs of the game in the fourth inning to increase the score to 9-0.
• Branscum finished two for six on the day. She tallied one RBI in the 9-0 win over Johnson St.
• Budde went two for three combined in both games while also registering one RBI.
• Lightner tallied one hit in six at-bats and contributed two RBI's in game two.
• Cubberly (L, 0-1) pitched five innings in game one. She allowed four hits and two runs while striking out one batter.
• Loren Vail (Belleville, Mich.) pitched the final inning and allowed two hits and one run in relief of game one.
• Rebecca Neil (Waterford Twp., Mich.) pitched all five innings of game two. She allowed only three hits while striking out six batters to earn her first win of the season.
OPPOSITION HITTING LEADERS
• Leah Lozzi was two for two batting for Eastern. She also tallied an RBI and scored a run.
• Abby McRae, Kasie Craig, and Sabrina Roberge each had a hit for Johnson St.
• Melissa Trick earned the win for the Eagles. She pitched seven innings while allowing six hits and one run.
• Kaitlynn Woodward pitched 3.2 innings for Johnson St. She allowed four hits and nine runs (3 earned).
Adrian plays two more games tomorrow, Monday, February 26. Game one is against Saint Mary's (Minn.) at 1:00 p.m., followed by a game against Neumann at 3:00 p.m.