CLERMONT, FLA. - The Adrian College softball team won both of its games today to improve to 3-1 on the year. The Bulldogs won game one 9-0 in six innings over Saint Mary's (Minn.) before earning an 8-4 win over Neumann to finish the day. Junior Paige Cubberly (Toledo, Ohio) was 4-for-5 from the plate while scoring two runs and three RBI's to lead Adrian to two wins.
Final Scores: Adrian 9, Saint Mary's (Minn.) 0 / Adrian 8, Neumann 4
Location: Clermont, Florida
Records: Adrian (3-1), Saint Mary's (Minn.) (1-3), Neumann (0-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED)
Freshman Lindsey Branscum (Clinton, Mich.) put Adrian on the board in the first when she hit a single that scored both Paige Cubberly (Toledo, Ohio) and Jaime Lightner (Eaton Rapids, Mich.) to put the Bulldogs up 2-0.
Jamie Bell (Lake Orion, Mich.) grounded out but scored Infinity Rogers (Sand Creek, Mich.) to extend the Adrian lead to 3-0. Lightner scored Phoebe Cole (Southgate, Mich.) after she grounded out to third to give the Bulldogs a 4-0 lead.
Bell singled in the sixth to score Cole. Cubberly also singled in the sixth that scored Bell and ended the game as the Bulldog lead moved to 9-0 initiating the run-ahead rule.
Senior Paige VanAtta (East Lansing, Mich.) got things going in game two when she hit a three-run home run in the first to allow Adrian to jump out to a 3-0 lead.
The Knights took the lead in the third inning after scoring four runs to gain a 4-3 advantage.
Cubberly singled in the bottom of the third that scored both Lightner and Bell to retake the lead, 5-4. Branscum singled to score freshman Alaina Macksoud (Clinton, Mich.) that increased the Bulldog lead to two, 6-4.
Taylor Van't Land (Clarksville, Mich.) hit a sacrifice fly to score Lenington to finish off the scoring for Adrian in the third (7-4).
Natalia Younan (Windsor, Ontario) singled to left center and scored Branscum, pushing the lead to four.
• Lightner was 3-for-6 while scoring two runs and tallying two RBI's.
• Courtney Young (Lansing, Mich.) recorded two hits in three at-bats in game one.
• VanAtta tallied a hit and three RBI's in game two to help the Bulldogs win.
• Rebecca Neal earned another win to improve her pitching record to 2-0. She finished the game with six innings pitched while only allowing three hits and striking out four.
• Cubberly (W, 1-1) received the win in game two. She pitched seven innings, allowing eight hits, four runs, and five strikeouts.
• Tara Nikolich led Saint Mary's (Minn.) with two hits in three at-bats.
• Julia Cox (2-4) and Kate Korte (2-3) each tallied two hits to lead the Knights offense in the losing effort.
• Amber Chow pitched 5.1 innings and allowed 10 hits, nine runs, and struck out four.
• Taylor Naman pitched all six innings for the Knights. She allowed seven hits, eight runs, and struck out one batter.
Adrian continues its Spring Break trip with two games tomorrow. The first game is against Capital at 2:00 p.m., ET. Game two is against York (Pa.) and is scheduled for 4:30 p.m., ET.