Feb 27, 2018
CLERMONT, FLA. - The Adrian College softball team split its two games on day three of the team's spring break trip to Clermont, Florida. The Bulldogs (4-2) suffered an 8-5 defeat to Capital before bouncing back to defeat York (Pa.) 3-2 in nine innings.
Final Scores: Capital 8, Adrian 5 / Adrian 3, York (Pa.) 2 - F/9-innings
Location: Clermont, Fla.
Records: Adrian (4-2), Capital (1-3), York (Pa.) (3-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian opened the scoring in game one at the top of the first when freshman Lindsey Branscum (Clinton, Mich.) singled to center field and scored junior Paige Cubberly (Toledo, Ohio) to put the Bulldogs up 1-0 early.
Capital scored in the second inning to tie the game at one run. The Crusaders took the lead, 2-1, in the third inning before Adrian had a big fifth inning to retake the lead with three runs, 4-2.
Jaime Lightner (Eaton Rapids, Mich.) scored on a passed ball to tie the game at two. Paige VanAtta (East Lansing, Mich.) doubled down the left field line to score Cubberly and take a 3-2 lead. The final run of the fifth came off a double by Branscum that scored Alaina Macksoud (Clinton, Mich.).
Lightner extended the lead to 5-2 at the top of the sixth inning when she singled to right field and scored Jamie Bell (Lake Orion, Mich.).
Capital scored six runs in the bottom of the sixth to retake the lead, 8-5, and eventually earn the victory.
York (Pa.) got on the board first in the second inning of game two to take a 1-0 lead. Adrian responded in the third inning when Taylor Van't Land (Clarksville, Mich.) scored off a bunt from Destiny Rogers (Sand Creek, Mich.) to knot things up at one run each.
Neither team could gain the winning run throughout the remainder of the regulated seven innings. The Spartans finally broke the tie at the top of the ninth inning on a sacrifice fly that would put the score at 2-1.
Rogers scored in the bottom of the ninth to tie the score at two runs each before Branscum hit the game-winning single that scored Bell and gave Adrian the 3-2 decision.
• Lightner led Adrian in game one with three hits in four at-bats. She tallied one RBI while also scoring a run in the losing effort.
• Cubberly was a perfect 2-for-2 against Capital (3-for-6 all day) while scoring two runs. She also registered an RBI in the 3-2 win.
• Branscum finished the day 3-for-8 at the plate and had three RBI's.
• Natalia Younan (Windsor, Ontario) was 3-for-6 on the day.
• Bell was the only Adrian player to achieve two hits against York (Pa.).
• Loren Vail (Belleville, Mich.) got the start in the circle for the Bulldogs. She pitched 5.0 innings while allowing six hits and three runs. She struck out one batter.
• Rebecca Neal (Waterford Twp., Mich.) (W, 3-0) pitched all nine innings in game two. She allowed only three hits and two runs while striking out six to maintain her perfect record as a starter.
• Alyx Slusher led Capital with two hits and three RBI's.
• In addition to Slusher, four other Crusaders tallied two hits in the game.
• Three York (Pa.) batters earned a hit in the loss to the Bulldogs.
• Hirn Haley and Madison Bowen each tallied one RBI for the Spartans.
• Sarah Franczak got the start for Capital. Brianna Reardon (W, 1-3) picked up the win in relief.
• Melissa Jurkiewicz (L, 1-2) pitched 8.1 innings for the Spartans. She allowed six hits and three runs while striking out five Bulldogs.
Adrian will get a day off tomorrow before facing Saint Mary's (Minn.) and Rose-Hulman on Thursday, March 1. Game one is scheduled for 9:00 a.m., ET, with game two following at 2:00 p.m., ET.