CLERMONT, FLA. – Freshman Loren Vail (Belleville, Mich.) tallied her first collegiate win in the circle for Adrian in a 5-0 win. Vail became just the third player in program history to pitch a perfect game and the first Bulldog freshman to do so. Adrian dropped game two 10-2 to Southwestern (Texas) to wrap up the team's Florida trip with a 6-4 record.
Final Scores: Adrian 5, Concordia-Moorhead 0 / Southwestern (Texas) 10, Adrian 2
Location: Clermont, Florida
Records: Adrian (6-4), Concordia-Moorhead (3-7), Southwestern (5-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Lindsey Branscum (Clinton, Mich.) singled to left field in the top of the first to advance Paige Cubberly (Toledo, Ohio) to third and score Jamie Bell (Lake Orion, Mich) to give Adrian a quick 1-0 lead. Cubberly would score after Natalia Younan reached first on an error by the Concordia-Moorhead third basemen to increase the Bulldog lead to 2-0.
The score remained the same throughout the next five innings. Adrian scored again in the sixth when a single by Bell scored Younan to push the Bulldog lead to three.
Younan singled in the seventh inning to score Branscum and put the tally at 4-0, Bulldogs. Madison Budde (Novi, Mich.) finished the scoring by hitting single to center field that scored Younan and gave Adrian the 5-0 victory in game one.
Southwestern took the 2-1 lead after the conclusion of the first inning. The Bulldog run was scored by Bell off a sacrifice fly from Branscum. The Pirates scored three more runs in the second while Phoebe Cole (Southgate, Mich.) scored the lone Adrian run in the second off a walk by Cubberly.
Southwestern tallied three more in the fourth before ending the game after the fifth inning with a 10-2 decision.
Adrian finished the Florida trip with a 6-4 record. That is the best 10-game start for the Bulldogs since 2015.
• Bell finished the day with two-for-four at-bats. She also scored two runs and had an RBI.
• Branscum was 3-for-4 in game one and 1-for-2 in game two while scoring once and registering two RBI's.
• Younan was 2-for-4 in game one. She scored two runs and an RBI in the 5-0 win.
• Vail (W, 1-0) struck out four batters to complete her perfect game.
• Rebecca Neal (Waterford Twp., Mich) (L, 0-4) pitched 3.1 innings in game two. She struck out two batters before being pulled.
• Vail pitched 1.2 innings in the second game and only allowed two hits in the relief effort.
• Celeste Silvas led the Pirates with three hits. She also scored two runs.
• Sydney Scott finished 2-for-4 with an RBI and three runs.
• Grace Phelps, Kaitlynn Copher, Izzy Jack, and McKenna Zinke each tallied two hits in the win.
• Abby Heraldson (L, 2-3) pitched all seven innings for the Cobbers. She allowed 10 hits and five runs while striking out two batters.
• Bailey Meyer (W, 4-2) pitched all five innings while allowing five hits and two runs. She tallied seven strikeouts.
Adrian returns home before heading back on the road to Danville, Ky., to face Centre on March 17 and 18. The Bulldogs will play the host on the 17th at 11:00 a.m., before wrapping up the first day against Denison at 1:00 p.m.